Lightroom Classic still has legs?

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
LOTS of Lightroom Classic mentions in today's Apple event makes me feel pretty good about the apps longevity. Since both LR Classic and LR CC are M1 native I'm guessing Apple believes most people are sticking with the Classic version?

Last edited:
LOTS of Lightroom Classic mentions in today's Apple event makes me feel pretty good about the apps longevity. Since both LR Classic and LR CC are M1 native I'm guessing Apple believes most people are sticking with the Classic version?
I am pretty sure that most serious photographers are using Lightroom Classic rather than Lightroom CC.
I assume that Lightroom Classic will live at least as long as Photoshop.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am pretty sure that most serious photographers are using Lightroom Classic rather than Lightroom CC.
I assume that Lightroom Classic will live at least as long as Photoshop.
Prior consensus seemed to be that once LR CC attains feature parity with Classic that Adobe would EOL the app. Confess I haven't paid recent attention so don't know how far away such parity might be, or if current thinking (or consumer choice) has allowed for a different path?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Since both LR Classic and LR CC are M1 native I'm guessing Apple believes most people are sticking with the Classic version?
Wouldn’t it be Adobe who needed to put the work in to make their applications M1 native? So perhaps this reflects Adobe’s commitment to both products for the foreseeable future.
:hide:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Prior consensus seemed to be that once LR CC attains feature parity with Classic that Adobe would EOL the app. Confess I haven't paid recent attention so don't know how far away such parity might be, or if current thinking (or consumer choice) has allowed for a different path?
I’m not sure that’s still the plan. Based on the path Lightroom (formerly CC) has developed in the past couple of years it doesn’t feel like feature parity is much of a target right now.

I understand that the rumors of LrC being replaced by Lr CC were more of a FUD campaign to entice LrC users to switch to other software.
It is nice to have a cloud option, but it can never replace the many terabytes of local data many photographers rely on.
AFAIK, Adobe has never claimed that LrC will go away in favor of the cloud option.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
AFAIK, Adobe has never claimed that LrC will go away in favor of the cloud option.
I believe the initial language was something along the lines of Classic being around for the foreseeable future, which they also claimed about perpetual licensing, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

My guess is that not enough users have adopted the cloud version and Adobe has had to adapt. Maybe they'd have a better time of it if the cloud storage plans were more affordable -- I know that was a show-stopper for me, even if feature parity existed.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’m not sure that’s still the plan. Based on the path Lightroom (formerly CC) has developed in the past couple of years it doesn’t feel like feature parity is much of a target right now.
Really? Is that because you feel the path towards parity hasn't progressed as quickly as you'd have expected, or is there a different target Adobe seems to be shooting for?

Edit: Consumer user vs. pro/enthusiast user base maybe?

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Really? Is that because you feel the path towards parity hasn't progressed as quickly as you'd have expected, or is there a different target Adobe seems to be shooting for?

Edit: Consumer user vs. pro/enthusiast user base maybe?
Perhaps.

I was thinking about how areas that have seen development in Lightroom (formerly CC) haven’t appeared, to me, to be targeting parity. Although new features have rolled out relatively evenly between both versions, there are still some massive gaps in basic functionality such as printing and file naming in Lightroom (formerly CC).

Real Name
Alan Grant
Perhaps.

I was thinking about how areas that have seen development in Lightroom (formerly CC) haven’t appeared, to me, to be targeting parity. Although new features have rolled out relatively evenly between both versions, there are still some massive gaps in basic functionality such as printing and file naming in Lightroom (formerly CC).
Right, my impression is that they may have been targeting parity, or something close to it, for Develop module functionality - so that for a single raw or jpg file that you import, you can generally get the same end result for export regardless of which version you use.

But for all the other things that Lightroom Classic does, I don't think Adobe has even tried to move towards parity (or claimed that they would do so). I am thinking of the Library, Map, and Print modules for example. I would say I am closer to "consumer" than "pro / enthusiast" in many ways, and the Develop tools in the cloud version are more than enough for me. But even for my consumer-ish needs I feel there is a lot of organisational functionality I would really miss if I moved away from Classic (e.g. Smart Collections, Publish Services, adding GPS and location details).

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I use both. LRC organizes everything. LR is for quickies, sharing and feeding other Adobe apps I use. LR Mobile could be where I do most of my editing as I travel a lot and spend more time on photography during travel.

I'm surprised, and pleased, Adobe has continued to develop LRC. My fear was they would ignore it. I'm thinking the subscription model surfaced far more pirated users than they ever imagined and many converted to paying. Plus our collective refusal to embrace LR sort of left them with a profitable app in need of some legs for the future as LR isn't getting much love other than the influencer crowd on YouTube.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
When it was first announced, I hoped that LR CC would be a cloud-based extension of LRC and that I could use LR CC on the road and LRC at home. But it hasn't turned out that way. Adobe chose to give LR CC a very different interface with different terminology and keyboard shortcuts than LRC. And integration between the two products continues to be poor.

I suspect that Adobe's goals is to get new users to choose LR CC over LRC and let LRC slowly decline over time as users age out. At some point in time, the effort to keep the app working on new OSes will not be worth their time and they'll sunset the app, but that event horizon is probably 10+ years out.

Personally, it's currently too much of an effort to move my TBs of LRC photos over to LR CC.

I use Lightroom mobile (same as Lightroom CC) on my iPad and it has progressed a lot.
I like using it from time to time when I don't want to switch my computer on, or when I'm away from home.

However, I wouldn't pay for it, and I wouldn't switch from LR classic to LR CC.

There are a lot of things you can't do as well in LR CC, and I want my photos to be organized in my local disk, with some copied in the cloud, not the opposite (and this isn't negotiable :) )

I guess Adobe knows that many customers will leave if they stop LR Classic.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Right, my impression is that they may have been targeting parity, or something close to it, for Develop module functionality - so that for a single raw or jpg file that you import, you can generally get the same end result for export regardless of which version you use.

But for all the other things that Lightroom Classic does, I don't think Adobe has even tried to move towards parity (or claimed that they would do so). I am thinking of the Library, Map, and Print modules for example. I would say I am closer to "consumer" than "pro / enthusiast" in many ways, and the Develop tools in the cloud version are more than enough for me. But even for my consumer-ish needs I feel there is a lot of organisational functionality I would really miss if I moved away from Classic (e.g. Smart Collections, Publish Services, adding GPS and location details).
💯

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom