Lightroom Catalog re-syncing help (&computer storage)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by lightmonkey, Feb 28, 2014.

1. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Hi Guys

Computer: OSX 10.9 w/ HFS drives
    Network storage: Synology NAS w/ FAT32 drives
    Processing software: LR 5.3

My normal workflow is: 1) load RAW files to local drive 2) cull bad files 3) process image 4) batch convert to DNG 5) transfer DNG to NAS storage

the reasons i process images on local drive is (a) performance (b) for whatever reason, i cant delete files from NAS via LR during culling process

[i dont know if reason (a) is valid...because if the 20MB raw is loaded to RAM it doesnt really matter]

Problem: obviously when i transfer DNG to NAS, then the lightroom catalog loses link to original file. i cant find a way to re-link them in batch. all the file names are the same... if i move the files as ORF/NEF/RAF then lightroom might be able to search for "neighboring" files and relink those...but since the extension is changed to DNG, i have to go in and relink them 1-by-1.

problem could be solved if i figure out how to fix LR being able to delete files directly from NAS. [keep in mind from Finder i can delete things from NAS... so no apparent problem of Filesystem incompatibility]............... or if i can use LR to initiate a batch transfer from local storage to NAS

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Lightroom's not smart enough to realize that your ORF files have suddenly become DNG files. If you want to use DNG, let Lightroom convert them when importing (there's a checkbox). I'm not sure why you're converting to DNG in the first place though - Lightroom works fine with the other formats, and if at some point you need to use the vendor's (Olympus, Nikon, or Fuji) software on the image, you can't with DNG.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    You can also cull the bad files either before you import them, via some other browser such as Photo Mechanic or deselect the bad files in the Import sorter screen so they're never imported.

But I also don't understand why you want DNGs. They seem to offer little added value if LR is your catalog and hub for editing.

4. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Horses for courses. Smaller files, no .xmp files and the benefits of Lightroom running checksums on DNG files is enough for me. I've tried using Olympus Viewer but in the end decided it doesn't have a place in my workflow so no need for RAW files.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I have my photos on a Synology NAS as well with the Lightroom catalog on my PC.
    When I delete rejected photos from disk a dialog pops up asking if I want to delete from disk or just remove from the catalog.
    When I choose delete from disk a second dialog pops up that tells me the files can't be moved to the recycle bin with an option to permanently delete the files, which it does when I click that button.
    The second dialog would not show up if the photos were on the local file system.
    This is on a PC, so I'm not sure how it is handled on a Mac.
    Rudy

6. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Anyway, turns out, in the Library module one can drag-and-drop files around. After importing on to local disk, and working from disk for performance, I drag-and-drop entire folder to network (NAS) drive from within Lightroom and which handle all the re-linking. Easy!

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    And if you are converting to DNG, seriously consider the option of linear DNG (not raw embedded) or embedded DNG (raw file is embedded). If you do the embedded, you can use the Adobe DNG Converter to extract the raw file at a later date. You can't do that with the linear DNG.

That is why I stick to importing my ORF files without any DNG conversion. It is much faster and I can later import those raw files into another program if needed.