1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom catalog and backups gone! wtf!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by SrPantuflas, Nov 8, 2013.

1. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    I don't know what happened,

today i opened LR, and the program asked me what catalog should use. (weird, never asked me that)
    i choose the usual catalog, and it's empty!! :eek: 0 photos
    i checked the backup folder (i have the daily backups option after closing LR every day) there's nothing, no folder!

the last time i used lightroom everything was normal.

anyone have any idea?

:confused:

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    try Alt+shift double click LR. That should open a dialog box that shows all lightroom catalogs on your computer. If you have a Mac? umm someone chime in with the mac shortcut?

That fails. start ->search-> ".lrc" and that should find all files that are lightroom catalogs, so at least you know if it's still on your PC.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    Thanks Jim and Fmrvette!

The weird thing is that the file on my catalog folder was 0,9 MB and the backup folder was gone.

I loaded all my pictures (take a while) and all the crops and PP are there. so i simply saved as new a catalaog over the empty one.

still i don't understand what happened,
    clearly i'm not expert on Lightroom haha but i thought that kind of settings were on the catalog? or they are in the RAWs?

sooo:
    there's a way to have my catalog + backups on one folder, and a copy of the lastest version of the catalog on another place (i want to have it in a dropbox folder) or i had to manually copy the catalog to the dropbox folder? just in case.

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    There is a way to have LR backup both the catalog and the image files.

Under the Lightroom/Catalog Settings, General tab, you can specify when you want the backup of the catalog taken - every day on close, etc. You choose the destination whenever the backup is going to happen; I point this at my Dropbox.

In the Import dialog, at the top is File Handling. There's a check box for 'make a second copy' and you can select a destination. This should generally be on a different drive than the primary image database, of course. LR creates a subfolder for each import sequence you go through, and just the image files themselves are put there. They aren't in the catalog or anything.

• Like Like x 2