Lightroom Backup and restore questions ??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PantelisMor, May 4, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello i use LR. i am in love with this application.

I have some question ??

First Which is the best way to backup Photos in order i can use with LR if my disk breaking ? Until now, i just copy images from one disk to other. Is it Right ?

Second what i have to backup in order to keep presets,watermarks,catalogs. and tags ?

Third i have my watermark in file: (Pantelis Moromalos - Photography Vertical.lrtemplate) how could i open this file with LR . I want to avoid to create new Watermark..

Thx a lot.....
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Mac or Windows?

I only have a Mac nowadays so I won't be able to help you in detail if you're in a Windows environment. I'll try to put in the Windows equivalents in parenthesis when possible.

I do this, just in Lightroom instead of Finder (Explorer) so that Lightroom can correctly catalog these files. Often times the files are moved to an external drive so my system drive space can be freed up for new production. If there are any 5-star photos in these archives, I often make a Smart Preview so that I can access them later without the drive connected. These drives are then imaged using Disk Utility (Backup) and these images are stored on another, lager, drive. A live disk and an imaged disk are often enough for my backup purposes. The imaged disk can be stored offsite.

Here is how to find out where some of these things are stored.

Catalog: Lightroom > Catalog Settings > General > Show
    Presets: Lightroom > Preferences > Presets > Show Lightroom Presets Folder

Presets, watermarks, brushes, are all stored in the same relative location.

As long as your watermark is stored in the correct location, you should be able to open it and edit it in Lightroom. Here's a quick tutorial on watermarks:
  3. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot my friend for your help

How do you do from LR ??
    How i do this ? if i do this what happening exactly ?

sorry my english isn't so good....