Lightroom and Raw from the OM-D E-1

Fivekatz

Mu-43 Rookie
Anybody else notice how much better the initial process of RAW files are from E-5 to OM-D E-1? Better color balance, better dynamic range right out of the camera and into develop at least for me.

Clicka

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Peter Campbell
Are you saying 5 is better than 1; or the other way around?

Fivekatz

Mu-43 Rookie
Are you saying 5 is better than 1; or the other way around?
EM-1 by a mile when it comes to Lightroom and how it processes the RAW files produced. E-5 was a pain, lots of adjustments just to get to normalized image.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Do you really mean the E-5 or do you mean the E-M5? The E-series (E-1, E-5 etc) were Four Thirds DSLRs.

I went from E-M5 to E-M1 and barely noticed any difference in ACR except for better detail due to less anti alias filtering and slightly less red oversaturation. In time I've also noticed worse long exposure noise on the EM1.

Fivekatz

Mu-43 Rookie
Do you really mean the E-5 or do you mean the E-M5? The E-series (E-1, E-5 etc) were Four Thirds DSLRs.

I went from E-M5 to E-M1 and barely noticed any difference in ACR except for better detail due to less anti alias filtering and slightly less red oversaturation. In time I've also noticed worse long exposure noise on the EM1.

I was talking about the last of the 4/3 series. the tank better know as E-5.

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Anybody else notice how much better the initial process of RAW files are from E-5 to OM-D E-1? Better color balance, better dynamic range right out of the camera and into develop at least for me.

While I don't own an E-M1, I have a E-P5 which is similar and I also own an E-5 tank as well. I don't use Lightroom, preferring instead to use DXO Optics Pro which I consider better than LR. In regards to better color balance and dynamic range. I notice that if I stayed from ISO 100-400 with the E-5 and processed via DXO, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and my E-P5. However, past ISO 400 and into 800 and onwards, the E-P5 or your E-M1 will perform better.

Also, I like how the E-5 and the older E-1 (which I still own and shoot) renders the orange, red and yellow colors more accurately I feel than with my E-P5. The color palette is different than the modern E-P5/E-M1, which is why I still shoot with the E-5.

Fivekatz

Mu-43 Rookie
While I don't own an E-M1, I have a E-P5 which is similar and I also own an E-5 tank as well. I don't use Lightroom, preferring instead to use DXO Optics Pro which I consider better than LR. In regards to better color balance and dynamic range. I notice that if I stayed from ISO 100-400 with the E-5 and processed via DXO, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and my E-P5. However, past ISO 400 and into 800 and onwards, the E-P5 or your E-M1 will perform better.

Also, I like how the E-5 and the older E-1 (which I still own and shoot) renders the orange, red and yellow colors more accurately I feel than with my E-P5. The color palette is different than the modern E-P5/E-M1, which is why I still shoot with the E-5.
Well the E-1 sensor is a honey IMHO, though short on MP. It was made by Kodak and had that Kodachrome look. The end results for me are the same just more adjusting the E-5 ORF than the OM-D E-1. To me it was a happy surprise and that is probably all on Adobe's end.

Fivekatz

Mu-43 Rookie
Don't get me wrong BTW, I am a big 4/3 fan boy. I have E-30, Evolt 500 and the E-5. Love the controls and ergonomics of the E-5 and between the 12-60 and 50-200 it is a heck of a camera. The Evolt 500 I have hung on to because it was the last of Kodak sensors.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
  1. I didn't notice any real processing time/steps difference when I transitioned. However I like the color tones from the 4/3s better than m4/3s and even more so the photos from the Kodak sensors. I'd really like a way to duplicate those colors.

bye

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't get me wrong BTW, I am a big 4/3 fan boy. I have E-30, Evolt 500 and the E-5. Love the controls and ergonomics of the E-5 and between the 12-60 and 50-200 it is a heck of a camera. The Evolt 500 I have hung on to because it was the last of Kodak sensors.

Well; I treat my E-5 as my poor man's E-M1. For $200 that I paid for it then, I can't complain a lot. Now I'll just have to wait when the E-M1 Mark II comes out for the E-M1 to be put on fire sale...

Latest threads

Top Bottom