Lightroom and Photoshop, Do I Need Elements?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Oct 12, 2014.

1. I have used PSE 6 since it was released, mostly for organizing my 25,000+ photos. It won't read a lot of the newer EXIF data, so I tempted to get a newer version. I currently have the subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop. I have tried to figure out what each offers, but it makes my head hurt. If I get PSE 13, do I gain anything over LR and PS?

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, there's nothing Elements can do that Photoshop doesn't do. Except allow you not to pay for a perpetual subscription.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think Elements has some scrapbooking tools lacking in Photoshop proper . . .

4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Qld Australia
    Maria
    I use Lightroom 5 along with Elements 10. I adjust in lightroom and then send the file out to elements as a tiff (this is done automatically between the programs) if I need to work on it over there. Lightroom adds this new file to the folder so if I just save what I have done in elements and close that program, when I go back to lightroom there it is with all the changes. My elements is to old to read my RAW olympus files but if I work it this way I don't need to upgrade which is just as well as I don't use it enough to warrant upgrading. Lightroom is great and can be purchased outside the CC which is even better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    PSE is basically a stripped down version of PS. If you already have LR and PS....no need for PSE. Instead try a totally new set of plugins such as the Nik Collection or Perfect Photo Suite.

• Like Like x 1
  6. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Harvey,

I love lightroom, if you have the ps & lr bundle like I have, then there really is no need for elements.

Having said that, Photoshop, to me, is so complex that I never seem to get anywhere. PSE may be simpler to use, and simplicity may be a easier pill to swallow.

Lightroom is great for cataloging photos. Have you had any success so far?

7. I am getting there with the success. I imported my catalog from PSE 6 to LR. PSE 6 couldn't read the ORF's, so none of them were imported. I have been slowly updating and re-importing. LR also was having difficulty with my older catalogs, so once again I'm slowly updating them. I do like the tags in LR better than PSE 13, but I did like them OK in PSE 6.

As a total side note, how do you rotate an image 180° in LR? The most I can manage is with the crop tool and only 45°.

8. dccase

dccase Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Rotate and Flip options are under the Photo menu on the main menu.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Really, I would wean yourself off PSE if you are happy to afford the LR/PS CC program.

LR is a much more powerful DAM and PS is a much more powerful photo editor. But really the most important thing is this. Both LR and PS have almost infinite 'how to' help on the internet in terms of videos/tutorials/blogs. Any problems you run into transitioning from PSE can easily be sorted on the internet and you will soon find capability in these programs that isnt in PSE.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have PSE* and find it to be a horrible program to use. I asked a PS user if PS was as bad, and they replied that PSE is the worst of simplicity and PS combined. I suspect that PS does have a long learning curve, but PSE's was not short or intuitive. If you are going to invest the time and have access to PS, I would strongly consider devoting your time and attention to it.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    IMO Lightroom is the superior photo management tool, well worth learning. Photoshop is the superior editor.

If all you do is minor adjustments and a touchup here and there,Lighrtoom is all you need. People who heavily edit photos need Photoshop.