1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom and Olympus OM-D colors

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by SojiOkita, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Hi everybody.

Thanks to a wonderful marketing campaign from Olympus, I had the ability to test the OM-D E-M1 and E-M5 for one day this week.
    I enjoyed it very much and took lots of pictures with them, all RAW+JPEG (I always shoot RAW only, but I needed the JPEG to get a look at Olympus colors), including some comparison with my current camera (Canon 40D)

I always work my photos with Lightroom and do not paln to change this.

The day was real fun... but when I began to look the photos... that was a huge disappointement.
    I didn't like at all the colors I got... especially the reds that have a yellowish tone.
    Same problem with E-M1 and E-M5 as the colors were very similar with the 2 bodies.

I made some testing, comparaisons with my Canon pictures and with the Olympus JPEG that looked OK.
    I think I managed to find a good starting point.

I set the "camera calibration" to "Camera Natural" instead of "Adobe Standard" and I set the contrast to -10.
    I don't like the colors I much as I like what I get from my Canon but they are OK (and maybe more accurate).

I believe that some of you here use Olympus OM-D cameras & Lightroom.
    How do you configure Lightroom to get colors you like?
    It's a highly subjective subject but that can give my ideas to investigate.

Do some of you use the "huelight" profiles and how do they compare to the "camera natural" profiles?
    (I may get them for my E-M10 but I won't buy them for two cameras I've used only one day)

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    If I want Olympus' colours I use OV3. There are times LR gets it right (usually depending on WB), but mostly wrong.
    While the profiles in LR's latest update are a good sign that m4/3 gets recognized, they are nowhere near the colours OV3 puts out. Users here have tried and come up with tone curve presets, but there's always something missing. Huelights profiles are also a nice addition to get a better starting point than what the Adobe profile is presenting, but like with Olympus' profiles in LR, they are not "quite there" either.

3. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    The new profiles are quite good
    Natural you might want to use linear tone curve and play with bringing the dark tones out a bit more natural has a steep tone curve and heavy in the darks so tone curve to bring out the shadows :)

I like the muted for some things like dresses
    and the portrait also for a lot of things is also used
    And natural

Don't use that other one ? The over saturated one forgot the name :)

Tend to leave contrast alone or at 0 but bring clarity to -10 as a base anything ISO 1000 gets about 5 or 10 for noise reduction 1600 10 or 15 and over depending ?

Play a bit with radius on sharpening and bringing that up a bit same as masking play with bringing that up some to protect some areas ? play a bit with the sharpening to learn

Tip learn about import settings so things like your ISO and base settings are applied each time for each ISO on import much easier to have that base !
    Basically makes custom settings default :)

Depending on the shot for fun play with luminance levels a bit for skin tones for me kinda gives a skin glow to reception shots
    you can click and drag on the skin just for luminance basically orange channel :) a bit of red

If you are not happy with the tones the camera calibration colors are powerful but go slow and small!
    Also reducing Rudy skin tones again luminance and just play a bit with the HSL tools a touch can really help reduce blotchy reds and glow skin
    I would say be careful to not overdo of course :)

I am not a fan of all the presets but I do have them for base settings
    A bunch for skin glow in various amounts and a reset
    Or sky or grass
    Dress details those kinda things

Hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    It'a pity.
    As I go to micro 4/3 to make my photographic life easier, I don't want to complicate the post-processing phase. So it will be Lightroom and only Lightroom... if the tones are bad, I'll get to another brand.

I don't want specifically "Olympus JPEG colors", I never had a digital Olympus before, so I've got more a "Lightroom Canon" color education ;)
    On this matter, it depends on what we like but also on what we are used to.

Maybe the camera makers should work a little with Adobe to get good calibration for their cameras.
    As they're not selling software, they won't lose anything.

Yes it does ;)

They're a better start.
    For my current cameras I made 3 or 4 base presets and I'm trying to do the same here.

There is always a little post-processing afterwards, but you've got to get a good starting point for colors, or else you've got to make too much tweakings that sometimes ends to very unnatural results.

5. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    So can anyone tell how to "set" those presets (and where to get them from) for an Olympus colors? I also struggle with what LR gives me.

6. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    how can i get the latest lightroom 4 profiles for em5?

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I use the Huelight profiles but as others have said they are not quite the same as the Oly JPEG presets.

I find the Huelight standard to be a more accurate representation of colours without the tendency for individual colours to saturate. Probably the best $10 I've spent on photography.

The vivid is perhaps closer to Oly JPEG's but I have gone back to only using this on certain images.

There are some good examples in threads if you do a quick search.

Having now got LR5.x and Huelight profiles there are lots if options before having to use OV3 and TIFFs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    LR4 only has the Adobe standard profile (poor). They only added the extra profiles for EM-5 etc. in the latest update to LR5.

Huelight works with LR4 or LR5 and is only $10 upgrade to LR5 is $??

• Like Like x 1
  9. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I can confirm that the huelight profiles are very good, the new LR profiles are nice but I still prefer huelight.

Another advice are the EM1 or EM5 presets by archeogeolab. The color handling of these presets does not work well with the huelight profile, you will have to reset the color handling. But the other settings like tone curve, contrast and noise handling are a very good starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Are they closer to Adobe Standard or to "Camera Natural"?
    I find that "Camera Natural" is almost OK but something makes I'm not totally convinced with it.

In the examples I saw here, it seemed that they were not so different from "Adobe Standard" that I find way off.

Is this what I can find here?
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=25526
    Or are they newer versions of it?

11. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    The Huelight profiles are a much better starting point than Adobe's. You might want to create a custom preset that tunes the images to your liking, and use that on import.

The Olympus viewer, although clunky, does a nice job with color rendering. You can do a batch process to create 16 bit tiffs, and import those to Lightroom as a starting point.

If you are feeling really ambitious, you can download the free dng editor/creator from Adobe Labs and roll your own profiles, which can be installed in LR. I did this before purchasing the Huelight profiles, and it was an improvement over Adobe, but not as useful as the Huelight.

disclaimer: I do most of my color correction in Photoshop with Nik filters, so my needs probably differ from yours. If I wanted SOC, I'd probably use the jpgs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I just purchased the huelight profiles...now I'm just waiting for the email from them...hopefully these profiles will shave a few minutes over the standard tweaking I usually do.

13. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah good point :)
    also I am not holding my breathe they are going to be tweaked and advanced like others have

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you're really serious/pedantic about colours, get a colour checker chart, X-Rite or whatever, and take a series of shots in situations that you normally work in and use the chart to calibrate your software. Even carry a portable chart for those awkward, mixed, lighting situations.

15. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    the new profiles are in LR 5

to set your presets its pretty straight forward best thing to do is take a shot with your camera with each iso setting (import into LR)
    then in LR go into preferences and make sure on the presets tab you have make defaults specific to camera serial number and also the one below to ISO settings
    this allows you to kinda fine tune your noise reduction etc.. for each ISO

bring up your image and make your base adjustments for me thats basically the profile and the -10 on clarity move onto the next ISO and repeat (some will set custom tone curves also)
    then go into develop mode and from the develop menu choose the set default settings and you should get a pop up to OK that :)
    when I get a new camera I do this just sync base settings all the way across all ISO then go in and tweak your NR settings its actually very fast to do this and saves IMHO a ton of time over the long run in post

you can always reset and do other things if you want to change later :)

16. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    when I do portraits its pretty easy to use my passport and make a custom profile often hits it about dead on :)
    pain at weddings to many situations I found to use but good tip :)

17. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    my personal feeling is some of those presets that try to emulate colors are not worth the hassle of tweaking later
    profiles are a different thing :)

the reason is often people tweak some other settings in the HSL and things which sure works for them and there photos to get a base look but very well might not work for yours
    if anything try them out but keep them as presets !!! don't use them as default settings keep your default settings basic and learn to use LR and adjust your images :)
    often folks spend the same amount of time tweaking those presets to look good as they would have just tweaking base file

18. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Yes, tweaks can be useful for inspiration to create you own presets. Calibration is supposed to be a good base for all photos. Tweaks often only works in specific situations.
    For the color checker... Is it really so simple to make a custom profile?

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The colour checker allows you to correct white balance etc in say Lightroom and apply that to all your photos shot in those conditions. You can create pre-sets for Lightroom from the colour chart.

20. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    Yep...with the ColorChecker Passport, take a photo of it in the lighting you'll be using, import it into Lightroom along with your other photos, "export" the image of the color checker to their Lightroom plugin where you give the new profile a name, and then restart Lightroom to have the new profile available in the dropdown. Select the profile, set the white balance (also made easy with the ColorChecker), and you're good to go. I've only just started using mine but it made quite a difference, especially in reds and blues, on both my E-M1 and GM1.

The only slight annoyance is for some reason their software doesn't seem to be able to automatically find the ColorChecker in my photo when using the steps listed above. So I export the photo as DNG, fire up their standalone application, manually click on the four corners to locate the swatches, name the profile, and restart Lightroom. Haven't had a chance to look into why it's having a hard time automatically determining where it is, but it's not that big of a deal.

There's a great video about using the color checker here.