1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom and B&W question

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Oct 30, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am using LR 3, shooting with two pens (EP1 and EPL2).

I shoot in RAW, but often I set the camera onto B&W (that way the jpg is in B&W as is the screen, so I can better judge what I'm doing during shooting).

LR used to present to me a B&W treatment, but now it seems to be ignoring that I shot this in B&W and is presenting it to me in color, forcing me to do one extra step to handle it in B&W. It's not a terrible amount of work, but I'm just wondering what changed, or what I did, to stop it from treating my pics in B&W.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Images created using one of the Art functions are saved as both RAW and JPEG.

The JPEG version will give you the Art image created in-camera.

Before you download the images, you have to set LR to allow downloads of the JPEG version.

To do this, in LR => Preferences => General => click "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos".

LR will now download both versions including your B&W image.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This is a bit different. I could have sworn (thought I may be in error) that it used to flip the "treatment:B&W" bit for me, if I shot it in B&W. Not the jpg, but the RAW file (same as if you went to the Develop module, and chose "B&W" for treatment rather than color).

Am I misremembering this? Maybe I was shooting jpg then, but I thought it treated my RAW as B&W.

Not a huge deal. I just thought it used to handle the treatment setting for me.

4. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    It's always been my understanding that a RAW image is unaffected by certain in-camera tweaks such as the "Art filters" and corrections for lens distortions. This is why the camera creates both a RAW and a JPEG image if you have your camera set to shoot in RAW only.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Unaffected, yes. But LR has a "treatment" approach (see the Dev module).

May just be mis-remembering. No worries. Just wondering.

6. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I get it. You mean setting LR's develop mode to automatically show you the RAW images in black and white. That I don't have an answer for, but you can always batch process your entire download to show as B&W images.

In the Library, highlight the entire downloaded images, go to Quick Develop, and in Saved Preset, select the type of B&W processing that you wish to achieve. Now, every image you open from the downloaded batch will appear in B&W.