1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom and aspect ratio.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dhazeghi, Apr 28, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I was experimenting yesterday, and tried shooting my E-PM1 using 16:9 instead of the standard 4:3 aspect ratio (works nicely with the 16:9 LCD, but less nicely with the 4:3 EVF). I shoot RAW, so I figured the cropping would only matter in image review on the camera.

But it seems that Lightroom has decided to honor these settings - the images once imported are also cropped to 16:9. This is rather bizarre as Lightroom happily ignored all of my other in-camera settings (gradation, sharpening, etc.).

Is this behavior new? Is there an way to turn it off? All the data is there (just open it a simple RAW converter like RPP). I'm suddenly worried there may be other settings that LR will start using as well...

Thanks,

DH

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There was a lot of chatter about LR not honoring cropping settings when LR3 came out. So as soon as Adobe implemented it in 3.3 there was a lot of chatt about how they'd implemented it. A nice lose lose situation for them.

You can use the Olympus software if you want to process with a different crop.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    True. It's not a disaster, just somewhat counterintuitive to me. In the future I'll refrain from tweaking camera settings until I'm sure that the RAW file is safe!

Well, I can doctor the RAW too. But for 10 images, it's hardly worth it. Something to note though for future reference.

Thanks,

DH

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, there's been a bit of progress here. As of Lightroom 4.2RC, newly supported cameras will let you alter the crop. This doesn't help with existing Olympus or Panasonic cameras, but the hope is that they will extend the feature (now that it exists) to other models.

DH

• Like Like x 1