1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightroom 6 performance on the new MacBook (2015)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gravijaflare, Jun 8, 2015.

  1. gravijaflare

    gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

    Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    hi guys, anyone using lightroom 6 on the new macbook which uses intel core m?
    would like to know your experience(s) on how it handles loading, editing and exporting of raw files.

    i currently use lightroom 5.7 on a 2014 13" macbook pro with intel core i5 and got interested in the lighter and more compact retina macbook.. and was thinking if the added gpu acceleration support of lightroom 6 will partially offset the slower cpu..

    thanks in advance!
  2. brettmaxwell

    brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

    Dec 8, 2012
    The GPU accelerations only applies in Develop module, and I really haven't noticed any significant difference. If you're interested in compact and still powerful, get an 11" i7 Air, it is literally just as fast as your i5 rMBP, both in benchmarks and in my personal real-world use with both. My 11" i7 Air has become my primary machine, spending 90% of the time on my desk driving an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and being wonderfully portable the other 10% of the time.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. bigboysdad

    bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

    Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    In my experience, it drags a bit - LR5 seems faster to be honest. I'm using the cc version.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tyrphoto

    tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

    May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    IMO, the Macbook while being pretty and all, is about a year ahead of it's time unless your needs are very basic. It's single USB-C port is kind of questionable in terms of practicality and it's specs are pretty average. Personally, if you want a small and light laptop in the Apple lineup, the MacBook 11" is the better way to go. Almost the same size and weight, faster processor and cheaper. The only thing you really sacrifice is the non-retina screen and 1" on the screen.

    I gave my GF my MacBook Air 13" for her to use as I'm deciding on either getting a MacBook Air 11" or a MacBook Pro 13". Although I would prefer the MacBook Air 11" size and weight, the two biggest cons for the MacBook Air 11" for me are it's non-retina screen with it's reduced color gamut as well as lack of a built-in SD card slot. The MacBook Pro 13" has a gorgeous screen and a SD card slot but is heavier and bulkier. If the MacBook with it's 12" screen had some semblance of some ports along with a SD card slot, it would be the perfect laptop for me.

    Even on my main machine, a mid-2011 iMac 27" 2.7GHz i5 with 16GB RAM, 2TB internal HD, Lightroom 5.7 isn't the speediest thing around. If I had to buy another laptop tomorrow, I'd probably get a maxed out MacBook Air 11" i7/8GB/512GB and use my second 27" iMac (late 2009) as a monitor for it. As it is now, maybe I'll wait another round and see if they don't add any ports to the MacBook or if they add retina along with an SD card slot to the MacBook Air 11".
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.