Lightroom 6 finally releasing?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by DigitalD, Apr 20, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    On SAR they reported we may in fact finally get LR6 this week and as early as tomorrow. This is been a pretty wacky collection of events leading up to it for me personally, being that I have not been able to process my Raw EM5II files through LR yet and have been watching for an update closely. heh. Ive been using OV3 and don't want to mess with changing EXIF data.

Here is the link to SAR: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/coming-at-last-new-lr6-on-tuesdaywednesday/

2. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    is it actually worthwhile to update from 5 to 6? Are there some major improvements?

3. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I too am awaiting the update of LR 6 as my OM D EM5 II raw files are not recognized in LR 5.7. I am using Adobe Raw Converter which adds extra steps to the process.
    I am wondering is there is a way to get a free upgrade to LR6 as I purchased the full edition of LR 5 in February and it does not seem like I have had it that long to pay again. Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Having spent a while dealing with the workflow of panorama merging (normalize exposure to ensure no clipping in RAW, export as high-res TIFF, merge using Hugin or Microsoft ICE, correct stitching errors in Photoshop, import back into Lightroom for edits), I will be very enthusiastic about HDR and Panorama features being integrated into Lightroom 6, as they're rumoured to be.

While I hope that there will be some modest improvements to the RAW conversion in terms of image quality as well, I'm not going to hang my hat on that. I use Lightroom because it's incredibly fast and user friendly to make 99% of the adjustments I need in no time flat, so I'm happy to give up on a bit of pixel-peeping quality compared to Capture One Pro (or DXO in some cases) in order to make my life easier.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Once V6 is released, it won't hurt to contact Adobe and find out. The worst that can happen is they will say 'no'. But it is my personal opinion that skipping every other generation of a given software doesn't usually keep you from any significant improvements. I suspect Adobe agrees with me since they are pushing their subscription model so hard. They want to convert the "generation skippers" to "endless payers"!

6. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Agree on generation skipping except for the need to integrate raw conversion for new camera models (it is an efficiency thing to avoid alternate methods of raw conversion).
    Take care, Larry

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

They may do. Phase One have done this in the past when people have purchased Capture One close to the release of the next version.

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    What should be really annoying to every LR 5 user, is that the ACR 8.8 update allowed for PS CS6 and ACR to work with the E-M5II file. I upgraded to CS6 about 13 months ago. Yet they did not offer this to the existing LR 5.X owners, and said you had to use the DNG workaround. It may be that LR6 was delayed, but it shows you what type of a company they are, pure greed on Adobes part. They should have absolutely offered the ACR 8.8 upgrade for free to existing LR5 customers. After all, LR6 as of this moment is still not available, why shouldn't 5.x owners be kept current?

• Like Like x 2
  9. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Wow SpecFoto, you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, also ACDSee Pro 8 and its predecessor versions play the same game. They are all so SELL oriented versus customer service focused. Hard to become a total devotee to any processing software based upon the games.

10. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Larry, I would pester the heck out of Adobe customer service saying that you are entitled to have working software that is only 60 plus days old. I remember looking at this when I upgraded to CS6 early last year, fearing the new O-M1 would not be covered. On the CS6 Adobe forums, many had asked this question and one of the Adobe employees stated they would provide CS6 owners ACR updates for a year, so I went ahead and upgraded. As evidenced by the new ACR 8.8 update working with CS6, that employee was correct. Maybe it is different with LR, but it doesn't hurt asking.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Actually this model of RAW support upgrade limiting has been around for years (over a decade?). With each old version of Photoshop they stop updating ACR for new camera releases so if you want ACR support for a new camera you need to upgrade or go the DNG route for Adobe.

Larry, I believe the upgrade policy is 30 days. But I would call.

12. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    Thanks David, I am not too optimistic but will give it a shot. My ACDSee Pro version 8 also does not support Oly EM5 II raw as well. I prefer LR over ACDSee.

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You will probably find that LR6 is say $130 and an upgrade from 5.7 is say $80. That's what I'm expecting to pay.

There is no argument that 5.7 'doesn't work'. Just use Adobe's free DNG Converter 8.8 and you can use the latest cameras with LR3 (probably even older!) if you like. No necessity to upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    I am using LR 5.7' and find the extra work with Abobe Raw Converter time consuming. I need a single app that can do it all.

15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    LR5 should be that single app. Have it import your raw files using the Copy as DNG option -- all done. It's one of the options under the Import page.

(I haven't actually tried the above. Maybe LR5 can't use DNG Converter 8.8 during its 'Copy as DNG' process? Maybe it uses an internal DNG converter? In which case I'm wrong and it's a 2-step process.)

16. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    This has always been the case for older versions of Lightroom, after they have been superseded, but they don't usually stop updates for the current version.

17. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    The current situation (with my OM D-E M5 II) requires me to create a folder on my external drive for the new batch of photos. Move the photos from the SD Card to that folder. Run Adobe DNG Converter to convert the ORF files to the DNG file type. Then open LR 5.7, and run an import of the DNG files, then I need to deselect the ORF files so I do not double up. This is a lot more time consuming than a simple import of the ORF files in LR 5.7.

Regards, Larry

18. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    First review of LR6 is up at CNET. Love the review, an honest opinion of a not so great program based upon an out-dated database, playing catch-up to features in other programs. The wacky interface is why I will continue on with Aperture mainly, and PS CS6 when needed.

http://www.cnet.com/products/adobe-lightroom-6/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  19. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    So where can one purchase the perpetual license upgrade to version 6?
    Regards, Larry

20. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    this is why i'm still on LR3!