Lightroom 5 & Photoshop CC Reading Materials

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Aushiker, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Hi

I am chasing any suggestions on quality reading material (i.e., good old books or iBooks I guess) that would be useful for a complete novice with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC.

I have plunged the library at work and whilst I can get interlibrary loans on various listed texts to see if they work for me (and access to electronic books - 14 day loans) I wouldn’t mind my own hard copy resources.

So if you have any suggestions on texts you have found useful please do let me know.

Thanks
    Andrew

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lightroom 5: Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book". Also Jeff Schewe's "The Digital Negative" which basically just covers processing. It's also over a year old and is more Lightroom 4 vintage but Lightroom 5 is basically Lightroom 4 with a few new features like a radial gradient feature. Nothing in "The Digital Negative" is out of date for LR5, there's just some things in LR5 that don't get covered. I find the combination of these 2 books work for me for Lightroom.

I don't use Photoshop so I can't make any suggestions there for you.

As well as the above books I've found the Luminous Landscape basic and advanced video sets for Lightroom quite valuable.

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Scott Kelby has some excellent books on LR and PS.

4. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Having also started out as a "novice" in the digital world (but with over 40 years of experience in the world of "film"), one of the better beginners books that I found was;

Teach Yourself Photoshop: The Complete Guide to CS and CC for Photographers by George Cairns

[​IMG]

Cairns starts out simple, at "the beginning", and then progresses, slowly, trough the entire Photoshop experience. Short of sitting through an actual advanced "class", it's pretty hard to beat.

I think that there is also a DVD and even an iPhone app that follows along with the book.

dp

5. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Kelby's The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers, Martin's Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers and Smith's Photoshop CC Digital Classroom training book. I did find a few inaccurate statements in Kelby's book, but to error is to publish.

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The Missing Lightroom FAQ by Victoria Bampton, aka The Lightroom Queen.

--Ken

7. Thanks heaps everyone for the suggestions! Most helpul and lots of options to investigate. I can see a lot of reading ahead of myself :)

Regards
    Andrew

8. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
  9. Thanks for the link but I cannot read that in the bath so like a mix of media :)

Andrew

10. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2014
    My favorite Photoshop book is Adobe Photoshop Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Not books, but I also recommend getting a subscription, if even monthly to KelbyOne and take the classes there.

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  13. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    ipad

14. I suspect work might get a touch upset if I dropped it in the water :)

Andrew

15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I use LR as my digital asset manager (DAM) and main nondestructive editor. When it is time to do advanced editing, such as using layers and masks, I head to Perfect Photo Suite, not Photoshop. But the Nik Collection and Perfect Photo Suite are killer plugins from LR and Aperture.

16. My library has now grown ... probably got one to many Lightroom books and after a quick look last night after they arrived I think Martin Evening's title probably is more than sufficient. Anyway I now have:

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ: Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users by Victoria Bampton

Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC by Martin Evening

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

Regards
    Andrew

17. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Agree, Jardines videos are great!