Lightroom 5 & Photoshop CC Reading Materials

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Hi

I am chasing any suggestions on quality reading material (i.e., good old books or iBooks I guess) that would be useful for a complete novice with Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC.

I have plunged the library at work and whilst I can get interlibrary loans on various listed texts to see if they work for me (and access to electronic books - 14 day loans) I wouldn’t mind my own hard copy resources.

So if you have any suggestions on texts you have found useful please do let me know.

Thanks
Andrew

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
Lightroom 5: Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book". Also Jeff Schewe's "The Digital Negative" which basically just covers processing. It's also over a year old and is more Lightroom 4 vintage but Lightroom 5 is basically Lightroom 4 with a few new features like a radial gradient feature. Nothing in "The Digital Negative" is out of date for LR5, there's just some things in LR5 that don't get covered. I find the combination of these 2 books work for me for Lightroom.

I don't use Photoshop so I can't make any suggestions there for you.

As well as the above books I've found the Luminous Landscape basic and advanced video sets for Lightroom quite valuable.

dpaultx

Mu-43 Regular
Having also started out as a "novice" in the digital world (but with over 40 years of experience in the world of "film"), one of the better beginners books that I found was;

Teach Yourself Photoshop: The Complete Guide to CS and CC for Photographers by George Cairns

i55017_teach-yourself-photoshop-2014.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cairns starts out simple, at "the beginning", and then progresses, slowly, trough the entire Photoshop experience. Short of sitting through an actual advanced "class", it's pretty hard to beat.

I think that there is also a DVD and even an iPhone app that follows along with the book.

dp

YantaYo

Mu-43 Regular
Kelby's The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers, Martin's Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers and Smith's Photoshop CC Digital Classroom training book. I did find a few inaccurate statements in Kelby's book, but to error is to publish.

Gary5

Mu-43 Veteran
My favorite Photoshop book is Adobe Photoshop Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann.

D

Deleted member 20897

Not books, but I also recommend getting a subscription, if even monthly to KelbyOne and take the classes there.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use LR as my digital asset manager (DAM) and main nondestructive editor. When it is time to do advanced editing, such as using layers and masks, I head to Perfect Photo Suite, not Photoshop. But the Nik Collection and Perfect Photo Suite are killer plugins from LR and Aperture.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
My library has now grown ... probably got one to many Lightroom books and after a quick look last night after they arrived I think Martin Evening's title probably is more than sufficient. Anyway I now have:

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ: Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users by Victoria Bampton

Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC by Martin Evening

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

Regards
Andrew

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom