Lightroom 5 leaked sneak peak

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WT21, Apr 15, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm actually pretty happy with Lightroom as is, so far as the abilities are concerned. The problem is the speed. Why do 16MP Olympus ORFs take 70-80% longer to process than 16MP Panasonic RW2s, not to mention Canon CR2s, Nikon NEFs and whatnot? It's very annoying.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, forget about features let's get some work on optimization for blazing speed!

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Dara,

I have the same problem with all my ORF files, both inside and outside of LR. I suspect it has something to do with the rendering of the embedded jpeg preview, but that is only a guess.

--Ken

6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Am I missing a valuable technique?

Maybe it's because I use dual monitors and always have a library grid on the secondary monitor, but I see no reason to crop in library?

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I only have one monitor, and I too wonder why cropping and/or other develop tools are needed in the Library module. Library module is for managing one's library, no?

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    So who else is going to try out the beta? I do like that it doesn't mess with existing libraries, so I am still safe should something happen.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I make decisions about keepers in the library module. Some of those decisions are made based on crops.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Oh, ok. I get it now. :smile:

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

That matches my workflow, I'd like crop in library too.

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't see one of the changes I want! I hate that a gradient can not be cut or masked off. Even if all they did was add the eraser to the gradient it would be great. As it is now if you add a gradient to a sky and have a tree or building stick up into the sky you have to either live with it being affected too or switch back to the brush and reverse the effect{which sometimes doesn't work}.

The rest of the changes either look good or I would never use them but I can see where others would. The improved lens correction and healing tool are ones I would surely use.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, in my very brief time, I'm not finding gradient very appealing. It's even worse if you've used Nik software before.

14. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    downloading now. will try it on my MacBook Air.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suppose that's possible, but most RAW formats have embedded JPEGs at this point (e.g. NEFs, CR2s). I've not noticed or seen anything distinctive about ORFs.

One idea that occurred was that this was the automatic lens correction for m4/3 kicking in. However, there is slowdown regardless of m4/3 or non-m4/3 lens, and it occurs on ORFs from regular 4/3 cameras as well.

16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    It doesn't look like they added more dual monitor configurations - oh well.

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im excited, but only because mebbe aperture will be updated soonish as well :)