Lightroom 5 is out!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by fsuscotphoto, Jun 10, 2013.

1. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    woo-hoo. (NOT).

Yet ANOTHER iteration... :doh:
  2. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I guess I'm going to skip this version. Worked happily with v2 until fall of last year before I upgraded to v4. The changes in v5 don't seem that major to me to justify the upgrade price (for me personally).

Waiting for v6 :)
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the updates but I am a little short on funds right now. I will have to make do with LR4. I always hated Adobe's pricing! The software is high enough but updates are just crazy!
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Since getting my OMD, I have been using Olympus Viewer (free version 3 from Olympus site), it is superb and to my mind produces better quality results than I was getting from Lightroom.

I would encourage any OMD owners to download OV3 and try it before shelling out for may just be surpried.
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I need to try and consider using OV3. I've been working with ACR lately for my raw images processing and have been learning a lot about it, but I would prefer to stick with Olympus products if it works well with PS/CS6.
  6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

I am only shooting Raw on my OMD and using OV3 I can import images from card easily and batch edit all to output as 16bit tiffs (large files 95mb) or smaller/Jpegs if you prefer.

The quality of output is superb but if doing 16bit Tiffs does take a while due to file size but it is worth the wait (I then use PS for borders and downsizing to 8bit & Jpegs for posting/output).

OV3 works vey much in the same way as OV2 that came on disk with my camera - see below comparison that convinced me to swap:

Olympus Viewer 2 vs Adobe Lightroom 4 | Rob Knight Photography

Worth a is a free download after all!
  7. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'm still using 3.6, so I think I'll get this. The new healing brush looks worth the upgrade for me. Maybe I'll get artistic and learn to use the radial gradient.
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The eliptical filter was worth the upgrade for me. And smart previews will change the way I work. Already paid and downloaded.

9. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    Bought LR4 eleven days ago. Probably not going to spend the same again to upgrade :(

Edit: I just contacted support and they're upgrading me :)

Edit again: Although translating words into deeds is proving problematic :(
  10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm going to get LR5 on student discount while I still can. Been doing some online courses for my current job :p
  11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    I'll probably get it so I can get the new tools. I want to stay as far away from Photoshop as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011 preview FINALLY. I'm hoping this works as advertised.
  13. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I'll probably skip this version since I just bought the Nik Collection when the whole collection became available for less than $130 with the recent discount. I'm still learning to use it and don't need to learn additional stuff as it is.
  14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Adobe has had a free upgrade policy for LR where if you bought it within 30 days or so of a new release, they would upgrade you for free. It's still there for LR5.

Upgrade policy after product announcement

Yet it's been reported that Adobe has posted on FB that the free upgrade only applies to the cloud now.
  15. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I was looking for that, but all I saw was a discount for the monthly subscription.

I only ever used the LR4 demo for a few months, but LR5 is running a lot faster on my macbook (only 4gb RAM) than LR4 did.
  16. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Hmmm...Impressive - and the video is for OV2. I'm not upgrading to LR5 because it would require an OS upgrade for me, as well. (I'm still using Vista.) Upon getting my OMD last year, I took a quick look at OV2 but haven't really used it. I think it's worthwhile for me to take a look at OV3 now, though. Would you have a link to the download site?

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I hated the interface in Oly Viewer 2, so I didn't re-install it after doing a clean install of my machine. But after seeing this, I just downloaded Oly Viewer 3 and set up batch processing. :smile:
  18. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OV3 also will run on a smaller/weird aspect ratio like on a tablet or netbook while LR will not.

OV3 interface is still crap but does give cleaner images than LR.
  19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Anybody care to outline the major improvements? Adobe's release notes are not especially helpful...