1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 5 is out!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by fsuscotphoto, Jun 10, 2013.

1. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait a bit to upgrade from 4. Yesterday I ordered a Datacolor Spyder Pro 4. But I'm upgrading in the near future. :smile:

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Do people think it'll be worth the upgrade? I still feel like there are things I don't even know about 4 yet.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    I think so! I can now do some retouching in LR that previously required Photoshop. Also 5 runs faster on my 2nd gen Core i7 than 4 ever did.

I'm still using Spyder Pro 3, despite the recent (wimpy) upgrade discount to 4. :eek:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I upgraded to LR 5 this weekend and spent some time playing around with the retouching brush. It's definitely an improvement over the old clone/heal tool and offers even more possibilities for doing retouching in LR instead of photoshop.

The Smart Previews feature also look really useful, so I'm likely to start taking advantage of that soon. This video does a pretty good job of summing up how it works:

Travel Light with Lightroom Smart Previews | Laura Shoe's Lightroom and Photoshop Training, Tutorials and Tips

5. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    The real full screen mode (f) is nice too :)

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
  7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, had I seen that list before upgrading, I'm sure I would have held off. Fortunately I haven't experienced any bugs ... so far. Fingers crossed my good luck continues. :biggrin:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I hadn't planned on it but smart previews looks pretty nice.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Actually, the faster processing times was the thing that most appealed to me. :smile: I considered buying it now anyway and not installing until they release 5.1, but presumably LR is not going to disappear into the Adobe Cloud before 5.1 is released. :biggrin:

10. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I don't see these as a big deal. I don't use any of those, at least not yet.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I have done about 5 jobs with the smart previews
    and about 5 regular jobs without the smart previews all kinds of cameras so far no crash no issue

maybe 8000 files or more ?

I have a post production company so get the chance to do a lot of files have to say the smart previews for folks sending me work is really really cool especially larger D800 files etc..
    the new clone spot brush is cool and the straighten thing upright is pretty slick with some it works or its WOW what happened

for me the OMD though C1 still remains supreme

also in develop mode going image to image is way quicker than 4 :) so thats cool
    I tend to return cat files or XMP but the few exports I did seem to be quicker ?

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You may not be exporting JPGs that are substantially smaller than the original raw file For a 16MP m4/3 file, the export bug kicks in around 1500 pixels on the long edge. I seldom export JPGs bigger than 1200 on the long edge for web posting. If you're only making paper prints without exporting smaller files, it might never bite you.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Just a quick note to anyone who might have bought lightroom 4 in the last month via one of the many recent sales...anything within a 4-6 week window (I bought mine on 5/19) should be eligible for a complimentary upgrade from 4 to 5 - for more info go to slickdeals.net and search lightroom 5 - there is a detailed thread on how to get the free upgrade. I just got mine, took a few days of waiting but worth it!

14. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    What happens when it screws up? I mean I read it, but what do you see?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

15. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I managed to get Lightroom 5 with a student discount for $79. Looks like they haven't prevented upgrading from student licenses up until version 4. So hopefully that trend continues!

The bug list is discerning but on my Mac I haven't noticed any of it. I did a bunch of exports yesterday and they appear to be fine and I had no trouble with user presets. But I did have to reload my plugins.

16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    So how big of a pain was it to transfer everything over from 4?

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Just start app, click yes please upgrade and wait a few minutes. I had to readjust where the new catalog is stored after and relaunch because Lightroom 5 created another folder in my existing ~/Pictures/Lightroom (User\Pictures\Lightroom on Windows) folder.

I moved the catalog out of that and into my existing folder and relaunched the app, pointed to it and it's fine. That "Store preset with catalog" bug in the bug list didn't affect me. My install carried over that setting just fine.

If you upgraded from earlier Lightroom installs to 4, it's the same process.

18. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I just ran the installer, no other steps.

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1 Easy peasy!

@dav1dz, are you saying that you were able to upgrade your academic version LR4 to consumer version LR5 for $79? :smile: