1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 5 camera profiles

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JoJo, Jul 2, 2013.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I had a chance to play with LR 5. When I looked at the profiles area, Olympus OM-D and the lenses were not listed. Is this a separate download? Is LR supposed to recognize cameras and lenses automatically?

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You need to download and install them from the adobe site.

You also will need the adobe profile downloader tool.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It seems that LR will apply distortion corrections based on information supplied by the lens and stored in the EXIF. Apparently this is a std feature of all u4/3 lenses. However, it appears that the correction is not 100%. Manual correction, or a specific lens profile, is needed to remove all distortions.

I can't really understand why the auto correct is not getting it right. Surely if a lens designer is going to the trouble of building correction data into the lens firmware, then why only do half the job? I've verified this is so by comparing images in LR with those in AfterShot Pro (ASP). ASP does not appy the EXIF corrections and as a result shows much worse distortion on files from my 17/1.8 than the same file in LR.

However, to get the curves out of vertical and horizontal straight lines, I need to apply manual correction or a profile in both tools - with more being required in ASP.

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Thanks friends.