Lightroom 5.6 is out and about

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Aug 1, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I just did the update and it reminded me again of Adobe weirdness. During the install, you're asked to choose a language, with the default being English (United States), so I naturally go to select English (Australian) or English (British) that is, the correct form of English, but there is no other option. So why have English listed as English (United States), why not just English, or Murican, or some such? :confused:

3. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm biting my tongue....

Very hard.

Z...

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I was hoping to see Esperanto listed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    If that's your main gripe, then all's good with the world. :tongue:

I was hoping to see improved X-Trans demosaicing, and a solution for my vent's problem. Since LR5.5 my Noctua cooler would spin up, and slow down in regular, and quite frequent intervals of about 1minute. Cannot tell from the few minutes I had it open. Update was in the middle of the night, so I have to take LR for a proper spin (pun intended) today.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Anyone else having problems with LR 5.6 plugins? They all used to be available in LR 5.5, but not now in LR 5.6. Yep, I reinstalled the plugins without error....same situation. I have asked Adobe and plugin makers about this.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I just did a test and Nik and OnOne plug-ins work fine.

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I stumbled over the problem and "solution".

In LR if you got to Preferences, there are several tabs. One of the tabs is Presets. Near the middle of that window is an option to save your Presets in the same location as your catalog. I had turned that on. Who would have guess that option would cause plugins to not show up when you right click an image?

I turned that option off and I can still see my Presets and once again, if I right click the image both my Nik Collection and Perfect Photo Suite modules all show up as plugins.

Obviously the option for the Preset location must create a path that is used for more than just finding Presets.

store_presets.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Funny you should mention that. Yesterday I had to update Flash on my wife's new laptop, as she couldn't view some of her sites. She was doing the update and was having some problems, so I jumped in and on the usual update page, Adobe had now include McAfee AV as a default install. Not tick the box if you want to install it, but untick if you don't want to install it, something people easily miss. WTF is Adobe trying to force crap like this onto unsuspecting users? This is the sort of thing that sets Adobe apart from other software major companies, first it creates a crap program like Flash that needs constant security updates and then, to add insult to injury, tries to install more crap onto your computer that is completely unnecessary.

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You should consider moving from an OS where you de facto need to run 3rd party virus apps. :wink:

I did the day I retired. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    LOL, as they say. They've been doing that for years, where have you been? :wink: But to add injury to insult, my wife and I installed that update the other day and both machines immediately started crashing browsers. Rolled both back to the pre-installation restore point and all is fine again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, I know, but it used to be something like Google Tool Bar or the like, now a trial version of McAfee? How desperate can they get?

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Wasn't the Bing tool bar in there for a while, too? I've lost track. In any case, definitely annoying or worse. And the d@mned software doesn't even run. Had the same thing happen with Acrobat Pro recently: updates to 11.0.7 and all of a sudden the drawing edit tools are all grayed out. Thank goodness for the ability to undo the update.

• Like Like x 1
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I rolled back to 5.4 as 5.6 is a painfully slower and lagging just after editing couple files..

15. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    need advise
    have em10 ...whats my option to work with raw? Have old LR4 which doesnt support. I instaled OViewer3 but thats awful ... Do I have to go LR 5.6 or is it ok to always convert to dng and then try LR4? If dng , can you recomend program? I have old laptop so look for easy and good solution. Btw on EM10 I am happy with jpg but you know ...every Pro works raw;-)

16. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Adobe dng converter is free and does bulk conversion. Then move/import the dng files to lr4.

17. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I regret converting my RAW files to DNG. I strongly recommend keeping the RAW files.

18. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta

I could not agree more strongly! Stay with the native raw files.

19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I was surprised by your comment because I haven't noticed any slowdown. Googling the problem turns up complaints about this, but there doesn't seem to be any common element. Did going back to 5.4 solve your slowdown?

20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Being in IT industry, I know very well that bug fixes just introduces new bugs - it's never ending loop :)
    Yes, while 5.4 is not Lighting fast (like any LR) it's not as bad as 5.6. I recall same issues with 3.x or 4.x version back some time ago.