Lightroom 5.3 with support for E-M1 and color profiles for many Olympus cameras!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by stenlius, Dec 12, 2013.

1. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    Released today, and hidden deep at last position in the release notes, the following cameras are supported for matching color profiles:

Added Camera Matching color profiles (Natural, Muted, Portrait, Vivid) for the following Olympus cameras:
    Olympus E-5
    Olympus E-M1
    Olympus E-M5
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-P2
    Olympus E-P3
    Olympus E-P5
    Olympus E-PL1
    Olympus E-PL1s
    Olympus E-PL2
    Olympus E-PL3
    Olympus E-PL5
    Olympus E-PL6
    Olympus E-PM1
    Olympus E-PM2
    Olympus STYLUS 1
    Olympus XZ-1
    Olympus XZ-2
    Olympus XZ-10

I've tested them and they work for E-M5, big difference, compared to the Huelight ones - but will see if they are better in the workflow.

Source: http://terrywhite.com/adobe-lightro...m_campaign=adobe-lightroom-5-3-camera-raw-8-3

• Like Like x 1
  2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Interesting. Have not downloaded this yet. Are these an accurate match for the colours in OV3 and the out of camera JPEGs?

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The nikon ones aren't very close, so it'll be interesting to see how the Oly ones work. I'm going to wager they muted the orange a bit!

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It's good to see they are including more colour profiles... looks like adobe LR is taking mu43rds more seriously

5. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pretty darn close though! This might be reason enough for me to finally buy LR5 - OV3 is just so slow...

7. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    so OV3 puts a little more blue in the shadows? this might simplify my workflow too.

8. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Great news! As I will soon leave Snow Leopard behind for Mavericks, upgrading to LR 5.3 will be my first priority (for more than one reason). I'm struggling a little bit with the Adobe Standard profile. Can't get it quite right. I would love to see a comparison between OV3 vs LR 5.3 OLY Natural vs LR Adobe Standard. Anyone?

9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    There're a few comparison shots on a thread about this on dpreview, almost tempted into upgrading to LR5 - now just waiting for a sale!

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I was going to post that as well. For those lazy to search, dpreview link here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/1...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_3

I feel the 'natural' rendition with LR/ACR seems more vibrant and saturated than natural the EM1 jpg

11. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I played with it briefly this morning, and compared it to the Huelight profiles. Over-all they did a great job. The blue sky's now look better, and the contrast is better. Just make sure you try it with a non edited image first. Originally I tried the new adobe profiles with an edited image and it added a hint of purple to my sky. But when I made a virtual copy of the image, reset the image and then applied the new profiles the sky now looked great. is the new profiles better than the Huelight profiles, can say. Colors preferences are subjective but in the images i played with this morning I prefer the new Adobe profiles.

12. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
  13. graben

graben Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2013
    Chicago, Illinois
    I was excited when I found these listed. I will have to see how they compare to huelight.

14. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    I'll try to make a comparison tomorrow with the Adobe Standard & Huelight standard rendering, compared to the previously posted Natural images.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    I downloaded the 5.3 trial and had a play with this.

While I have not compared these to the Olympus Jpg's, when restting already edited images, applying the "portrait" profile (I do almost only people shots) and doing some quick editing from there, it seems everything turns out much better, than where I got to previously, when using Huelight as a base (often with a lot of more work).

So I'm very tempted to upgrade, even though I promissed myself that I would hold out for Lightroom 6... Damn :)

16. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Btw. I'm using an E-M5

17. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I agree, colour preferences are personal. I bought the Huelight profiles for the E-M5 and was initially taken with them but slowly gravitated back to Adobe Standard. To my eyes both can sometimes have colour casts but in the end I found myself gravitating more towards Adobe Standard as a starting point. So far I feel more comfortable with these new profiles than I do with the Huelight profiles and I seem to like the Camera Muted more than Adobe Standard at present but that may change. Really, I think the only way to find out is to work with them for a while and see how you feel after you've lived with them for some time.

In any event I think it's great to have a few more options available on the profile front. You don't always have to use the same one and even though I gravitated back to Adobe Standard rather than Huelight there are images where I've deliberately opted for the Huelight profile because I thought it worked better. I don't think there's a profile that will suit every situation so having a choice can only be a good thing.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I did a quick comparison of the LR5.3 profiles and the HueLight profiles. Slightly different...wasn't sure either was necessarily better.

19. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have just downloaded 5.3. My very brief initial impressions (I have not had much time with this yet) is that, generally, I prefer the Huelight profiles. The contrast and saturation are too high in the Lightroom profiles, and shadow detail is lost. However, I did use the "portrait" profile for a black and white head-shot of a colleague for a work website, where the slightly higher contrast was useful in that particular context. The Huelight profiles seem to have a very pleasing natural rendition. However, it is useful to have the Adobe profiles for additional options.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    From a quick test with e-m5 files, they worked well on daylight shots and matched the camera jpeg pretty closely . Night shots I tested tend to darken the shadows a bit too much. I will definitely be using these when I want to start with the Oly colour but do further Raw manipulation.