1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 4

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ryanlogic, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    This is kind of a shady question. and it might be a stupid one at that.

I can get Lightroom 4 from my university for $70 which would allow me to keep it updated and so on.

I can also acquire the software for free through less conventional means... But I wouldn't be able to update It.

I'm kinda tight on cash after buying the OM-D, but I want to start learning how to manipulate raw files. So I'm thinking about temporarily using a cracked version until I can afford to buy the it in August.

Either way I will end up buying the software through my school, when I have some cash.

I saw something mentioned here that I can't find again.. Something about support in Lightroom for the OM-D specifically...and I want to know if I will even be able to use software that hasn't been updated to support the RAW images my camera takes.

Or am I just stupid? Will I be able to do everything I need to do without the updates?

2. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    you'll need the latest version, 4.1 I think, to process OM-D raw files. version 4.0 won't cut it.

3. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    PS - it's worth every penny when it comes to processing raw files

4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Get it legit, it's worth it. Until then, the included Viewer 2 software works pretty well.

5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Well, you can try for 30 days free to see if it works. I guess I'm a purist having paid full price and resisted finding a friend in school to buy it in their name. I think that if you can afford the camera, you can afford to pay for Lightroom. All those updates come from the profits from hose who buy - just pay up or wait but don't "freeload" it just isn't right I think.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First off a "cracked" version is illegal and the software companies do try and find out who has them. If caught it could cost you thousands of dollars! Go ahead and get the $70 version or try the 30 day trial and see if you like it and then pay the $70. The program is awesome by the way!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    As I said, I'll buy it either way.

Just a matter of when.

30 day trial sounds good. Does it have limited functionality?

I can always download another free trial under a different email. That would get me through July and some of August... Until loans and scholarships come in.

Thanks for the advice guys.

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The 30 trial is fully functional

9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I absolutely freaking hate many of Adobe's business practices as much as anybody else...but I would use the included viewer until you're close to being able to afford a legit LR4 license. When you're close, install the demo. Why wait until you're close to install the demo? Because once you do you WILL end up paying to keep it going at the end of the 30 days...it's THAT good.

And after you've saved up some more money, spring for Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape LR4 video guide. Then, save up some more for some Nik plugins at their sweet educational price. Then, you'll probably need a new computer.

Okay, are you sure you want to go down this road? :rofl:

10. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    One thing I'm sure about is not needing a new computer.

Watercooled i7 rig with 16 gigs ram, a solid state drive for the OS, and roughly a terabyte of HD space left.

Thanks for the tips!!

11. heedpantsnow

Jul 24, 2011
    Sweet, we're twins! I'm running a watercooled i7 940 @4GHz with (only) 9 gigs of ram and just got a new 2TB green drive. Running a 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS and 30GB Vertex (3 years old!) for my LR/PS cache & swap, user profiles, and Truecrypt containers. Been WC'ing since '04.

Are you a member over at XS or RRR?

12. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Haha

Computers are a money pit, mine is like a frankenstein that just keeps going! I've been thinking about getting another solid state drive for programs.

I am not currently doing the forum thing for computers.

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I just got a new machine in the office today, i7 water cooled with an HD 6950, 16GB memory, twin 1TB drives in RAID 1, and a 60GB SSD cache using Intel "Smart Response Technology". I've never tried SRT before, but I liked the idea and amcurious to see how it compares to my dedicated SSD machines. I am optimistic. The MBP is getting a 512GB SSD though :)

I also had iBuyPower build this one, as my time is somewhat expensive these days. It's taking a lot of willpower not to go poking around inside.

14. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    What do people use all this RAM for?
    I've just installed Windows 7 32 bit and nothing I've done so far reaches the limit of the 2GB limit available to me.

15. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I've maxed mine out while doing research, using statistical software, downloading files, listening to music, and having a millions tabs open in Firefox.....

16. heedpantsnow

Jul 24, 2011
    Honestly, partly because "we can". Ram is cheap now.

Also, when I'm running ~30 tabs in Chrome, Lightroom, Nik, Photoshop 5.5, Outlook, and Logos 4 (Bible study software) I'm usually using 4-6GB of the ram. It's much better to have too much than to be constantly bumping up against the limit.

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    ryan

i doubt a different email will give you infinite 30 day trials...adobes in the business of making money...and they are not stupid.... I am sure if you reinstalled your OS every month from fresh you might get away with it...but then again Microsoft might get iffy about the constant re authorisation or whatever.... I am a Mac user so don't have to deal with that excrement.

while I am sure you are happy with your souped up benchmarked and possibly fragile machines... i would be curious to know if you do get your work done quicker... if indeed your computer is your actual income dependant tool of your trade.

Boy racers... every community and every generation has them....it used to be cars now its computers.....fast and fragile...lots of talk and never go anywhere

K

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Thanks for the condescension there. My computers are not toys. These are crucial workstation systems under heavy use every single day, doing high end graphics and computational work. Fragile? I can't afford to have fragile computers, because work stops if a machine dies. These are powerful highend machines running comfortably within spec, with local data redundancy, continuous backup, high end cooling, and battery backed power.

But hey, I guess the idea of people actually using high end computers for serious purposes is just too wild and out there.

What do I do with the memory? I am running Visual Studio (3-4 instances), Photoshop, 3DS Max, many browser tabs, and a virtual machine on a regular basis. Throw in the other tools I need frequently (git and svn GUI clients, processing tools, etc) and I am running past 8 GB in no time. Lightroom eats a fair bit of memory too, and doing large pano work can eat quite a bit. Ever seen MATLAB churn through a large dataset? It LOVES memory. Then there's the actual software I am building, which are games and take up a lot of resources on top of it all.

Without these machines in top form and equipped with the best hardware, I don't have a career at all.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    quasi-intellectual "Mac users" piss me off.

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    :D
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2