Lightroom 4 Performance - How's It Working For You?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Some of the good folks over at Serious Compacts are reporting that the release version of Lightroom 4 (LR4) is sluggish compared to the LR4 beta as well as compared to LR3.

Anyone here get LR4 final yet? If so, what are your system specs (OS, processor, RAM, GPU) and impressions of performance?
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Hmmm...that's interesting. I work in a university with a large deployment of Adobe products and we have been noticing each release of the CS suite has seemed progressively worse performance wise than the one before. I'll be curious to see what folks are experiencing. As for me I have been thinking about a switch to Aperture for its better UI, organizational tools and links into the Apple ecosystem. Maybe its time to look at that option again.
  3. tomservoca

tomservoca Mu-43 Regular

Jul 17, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    I really haven't noticed anything untoward performance wise. I'm running a Toshiba Qosmio laptop under Vista 64. My files are on an external USB drive.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Not using it yet in Anger, but I processed about 300 shots today. Mainly simply stuff (delete, pick, some auto adjust, crop and rotate and export). Nothing bad to report yet. I'll ping back if I hit a snag.

Edit -- I should add that the Exposure adjust is indeed being kinder to highlights. Much more balanced. On the flip side, LR's auto tone feature always works well on my Oly shots, and always terrible on my Canon ones. Not sure why. LR4 is keeping that trend.

Equipment: 2009 13" MacBook Pro, 2.26GHz, 8GB RAM

No plug ins tried yet. Just straight LR.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Haven't notice much of a difference in light work. But not like I've been using it non-stop. I've only logged in a handful of hours.

i5 2500k@4Ghz, on-chip GPU, 16GB, 128GB Corsair SSD, catalog and 10GB adobe raw cache on 64GB Corsair SSD, photos on a Samsung f4 or something.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ah yeah :2thumbs:
  7. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    From my experience, it is a bit sluggish in processing, like entering development mode, zooming and rendering 100%.
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I didn't think it was any slower than 3.6 until people started saying it is. Now, psychologically, it might be. But frankly, they are probably the same. Using it on the latest iMac 27" with the I5 processor with 12GB RAM and 1GB video card.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm running it on a MB Air 1.8 i7 with no real noticeable lag. One major problem I had (many others are reporting this on the adobe forums) was the inability to use 2nd party apps, such as NIK or onOne. They were just dead in the Edit In menue. There is a work around for this bug though. If you install the trial of Photoshop CS5 (I'm not actually opening it) the problem goes away... but if you delete CS5, it comes back. Some people got it working doing the same thing w/ PS Elements, but that didn't work for me.
  10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The beta was slower than 3.6 for me. The final is the same as 3.6. No complaints. However I have yet to upgrade my old catalogue. I'll be using a new one for v4. The old one had 200k images in it.

MacBook Pro. 2011 i7, 8GB ram. Boring hard drives.

11. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    I'm running LR4 on n i7 950 3.0Ghz Windows 7 SP1 machine; 6GB RAM; OCZ Vertex-2 120GB SSD for software; mirrored 2TB WD Caviar 7200 rpm HDDs for files; Gigabyte Radeon HD 5750 GPU.

Initial launch of LR4 library thumbnails and Develop module is slower than LR3.6 as is launching Nik SEP2 (but it does launch).
  12. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Anyone using Windows 8 consumer preview? Does it run okay?
  13. spinwards

spinwards Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 26, 2012
    Same as 3.6

I am running Win7 on a core 2 duo w/ 2GB RAM. LR 4 performs about as well as 3.6.

It may be that I don't need to do as much PP with the G3, so I haven't noticed a slow down. :biggrin:
  14. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    I've logged a lot of hours on the beta, and don't notice any difference at all.
  15. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    I've started using it a bit. I often just hit auto to see what it will do, and then go back and adjust. Auto seems a little slower than before.

GH2, 14-42, 14, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8
  16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Definitely a bit slower, but the improvements make it worth it.
  17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I find it more memory hungry, I have a i7 870 and 4GB RAM, (I was running 8GB of RAM but I have an intermittent memory issue with the motherboard and have to run 4GB until sorted).
    It is a bit sluggish with 4GB RAM but I was able to test it with 8GB until the PC crashed and it was faster.
    Overall though it is quite processor intensive, more so than than LR3.xx

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I havew 8GB RAM and just ran LR3 and 4 side by side. LR4 was only using about 30MB more memory.
  19. pkincy

pkincy New to Mu-43

Dec 20, 2011
    Del Mar, Ca
    I have not noticed it as materially slower than LR 3.

However I had to upgrade my computers when I began using Adobe products a year or so ago. So each of my 3 new machines is running between 8 and 16 megs of fast RAM and the latest Quad Core I7 chips with separate graphics chips/cards.

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US