Lightroom 4.4 released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by quatchi, Apr 3, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    In short:
    - Bugfixes
    - RAW support for additional cameras (no µ43)
    - Additional Lens Profiles (no µ43)

Lightroom 4.4 Now Available

2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Aren't lens profiles built into m43 lenses?

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    By that I think you mean that lens profiles are built into the RAW file that LR processes. No additional work is required.

4. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it right now.

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Key question is: what are the bug fixes. If sluggish performance is one of them I'll be very excited.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, in the first five minutes of testing, it does seem a lot snappier

7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Yes. Finally better X-Trans support in a non RC LR...

8. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    They are, but they don't always correct as fully as possible. Lightroom has profiles for the Sigma lenses, and there is a (slight) difference when applying them to an image. It corrects a little more vignetting, and does change the geometry slightly. I haven't been worrying about it, even though I use the Sigma 30 a lot, the changes just don't make a real difference for my most common subject (my almost 9 month old son). If I were shooting architecture or doing product shots, it might be worth applying the profiles.

That said, even though there are not included profiles for the lenses, Adobe does have a free tool that you can use to create your own. Probably not worth it for most people, but there may be some that find a reason to do so.

9. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    It also opens up faster and when closing the backup and the catalog optimization is also faster.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    WHAT??? :eek:

I am totally downloading that, to create a PL25 and other Panny lens profiles for use on my Oly bodies!!

linky
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5489

11. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
  12. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
  13. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Why bother? The only difference between the two is CA correction. I thought the 25 has no CA correction on even a Panasonic body. Also the guy at Adobe who does the lens profile and CA code said the auto CA correction actually works better than the profile based correction. Just tick the CA box and save yourself the trouble.

FWIW I used their profile software to do the Rok 7.5 profiles I have in a old much bookmarked post on DPR. Actually their software was the starting point and then I made the modified profiles from there. So the software does work reasonably well.

14. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Ah, I see. Live and learn :smile:

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also bug fixes

Lightroom 4.4 Now Available

Scroll down to see bug fixes

The following bugs that were part the Lightroom 4 releases have been corrected. The team appreciates the very detailed feedback the community has provided on Lightroom 4 and we’re excited to correct a number of issues experienced by our customers. These issues have been FIXED:
    ■The crop overlay tool resized incorrectly when used in conjunction with the “Constrain to Crop” checkbox in the Lens Correction panel.
    ■Background graphics were not correctly rendered within the Book Module.
    ■Reading metadata from file would sometimes result in keyword and and GPS metadata to not save for video files.
    ■Updated the “Missing File Icon” for HiDPI / Retina displays
    ■The supplied lens profile for the Sony RX-1 did not contain vignette information.
    ■Preview in Develop Module was not updated with the latest adjustments.
    ■Square tile artifacts while painting with brush.
    ■Previews of photos in portrait orientation were blurry when viewed in the filmstrip in the Develop module. (Mac only).
    ■Image in Book Disappears After Changing Modules.
    ■Error changing modules when in Slideshow with second monitor connected.
    ■Stack badges displayed the wrong count when creating new stack that included a preexisting stack.
    ■Local Adjustment Effect (Brushed Adjustment) Disappears (temporarily) After Selecting a Pin (Win only).
    ■Book changes are not saved after switching between modules.
    ■The Filter scrollbar within the Library module was not rendering properly.
    ■Auto-tone was not working properly when used in conjunction with the Exposure adjustment slider. (Win only)
    ■The Black&White button was not creating a History state within the Develop module. (Win only)
    ■When switching from image to image, remnants of previous image visible on fringes of new photo. This occurred on Retina screens only.
    ■RGB color readouts were specified in the Adobe RGB colorspace rather than the ProPhoto linear colorspace. This occurred when working in Soft Proofing within the Develop module.
    ■Horizontal artifacts would occassionally appear in DNG files.
    ■Adding a page behaved inconsistently in the Book module depending on the method used to add a page.
    ■The state of the “Remove Chromatic Aberrations” checkbox within the Lens Correction was not persistent between sessions of Lightroom.
    ■Cannot add contacts from Address Book to email on Mac.
    ■Sliders can no longer be moved on Win by using mouse wheel.

16. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, I was gung ho at first but after doing one lens I was totally unimpressed by the results compared to the effort. I'm happy to encourage you to go for it ... I even repeated the whole thing thinking maybe I screwed up - same results. Maybe for some lenses the effort is worth the return but for the lens I tried there was basically minimal improvement that was not as good as a few slider tweaks in LR.

17. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have it downloaded and keep meaning to set it up to do corrections on the MD lenses I have. I can't find any corrections online for them.

18. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Anyone else notice that Adobe re-introduced the ability to associate files to open with the lightroom.exe program, in Windows?

Adobe had previously said that LR was not meant to be used this way, and it was disabled in 4.3, possibly 4.2 also, I can't remember - it was definitely available in 4.0 & 4.1.

You can once again right click on your RAW file, click on "Open With" in the context menu, browse for your lightroom.exe (this would never show up in the last version, no matter what tricks you tried to find it), select it, and make sure you check the Always Use this Program option.

Now, if you double-click on a RAW file (with that extension, mine is .orf), it opens up LR in Import mode, in the Folder that the file is in, with only that file checked. :2thumbs:

Useful, sometimes :smile:

19. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    ^^ Thanks Les this is a great feature

20. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Anyone noticing a bit of a hang in lightroom when editing 16bit tiff files that have been re-imported back into LR from an edit in PSD? I'm finding excessive screen redraws when using the gradient tools on these reimported tiffs. Very strange.