1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 4.4/Camera Raw 7.4 Release Candidates Available

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by twokatmew, Feb 25, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  2. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Oh ... release candidate ... :( That means the "real" version is 2-4 weeks away. Drat.

I like to be cautious and not use betas or RCs with my main catalogs, because catalog corruption is a really ugly thing to deal with. I'll probably set up a test catalog and take some test shots specifically for it.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Sorry to disappoint. :smile: Remember that at least on Windows, installing a release candidate replaces the installation of the prior version. That is, LR4.3 program folder goes away and is replaced by LR4.4 folder.

I made an image of my C: drive prior to installing LR4.4RC and also made an extra backup of my most current catalog, so if I need to, I can easily roll back to LR4.3 and my "real" catalog. I don't shoot much at all this time of year, so should I have to roll back my system, it's not too terrible an experience. :biggrin:

So far, LR4.4RC does seem faster to load than 4.3 did, but then I recently wiped my hard drive and reinstalled, so my system is snappier than it was previously.

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    It apparently does the same thing on Mac, dagnabbit. I didn't think before running the installer, but I have a backup I can restore from, so no big deal.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Also doesn't seem to fix crashes when using adjustment brushes.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I convert to DNG on import and didn't have anything to import anyway. I just briefly checked out the library and develop modules, just a first impression.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hmm, sounds like the big news is the support for new cameras and lenses.

--

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I've installed it and I am liking the fact that when you "Constrain crop" on geometric corrections the crop box doesn't end up being wrong.

In 4.3 the box could end up smaller than it needed to be, and you couldn't slide it to a position it SHOULD be in without first turning of the constrain option. It wasn't a big deal, but it annoyed me as I often do geometric corrections.

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Me too! I started doing the DNG conversion awhile back when I found out that DNG can host your entire edit history which means if your catalog vaporizes but you still have your files you can get back your edits. Haven't tested this yet though.

11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

That's disappointing:(
    I haven't found a fix for this:(

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When I shot Pentax, I really liked that I could shoot in DNG, saving on conversion time at import and dispensing with the sidecar files necessary with proprietary raw. Now that I'm a mu-43 convert, I convert to DNG, because it's such a convenient format. :smile:

--

13. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Final release of 4.4 came out last night.