1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 4.3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by silver92b, Mar 6, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I picked up Lightroom 4.3 and looking at the youtube tutorials, it looks like a great program! However, when I started with it, I'm totally confused.

I have many questions, but to begin with, after I get done editing (Developing" a shot, how do I save it? I don't see anything that says it's finished or that tells me how to end... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Here is a screen shot. I just finished doing some PP to the photo, what next?

prtsc.

2. garrettb

garrettb New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2012
    You don't have to save it. It maintains all of your edits to a photo as part of each file's metadata while in Lightroom. You can go to File->Export and export it as a JPEG or similar if you want to use it outside the program with all of the edits intact. You can always go back to previous edits on the left panel as well.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Like Garrett says, Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. It has the original image, and a "journal" of your edits.

Remember if you get a version you like, you can keep it and start all over again with a "virtual copy". Right click on the image and select "Create Virtual Copy" and another copy will appear in the filmstrip bar. Select that, right click, select "Settings" and "Reset" and your new virtual copy will revert to your original photograph and you can start an entirely new edit session without touching your old one!

The Export dialog is great. You can select a bunch of things from it including a file naming system, resolution, sharpening for different environments, and more. You can save your export settings under a name by clicking the "Add" button in the left hand panel of the export dialog box. You can right click, then select Export to get there instead of the file menu if you prefer. Also when you hover over Export after right clicking, if you have defined named export presets you can see them and export with a single click with those setting (which also include a destination).

• Like Like x 1
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    LR does not change your photo. it builds a data base of all the changes you have applied to the photo. You can roll back at any point to the original by pressing the reset button at the develop module. There is also an history roll back to any point in your editing at the left side.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks everyone! I think I understand now. Another question is, if I try to edit a jpeg file rather than a raw file, will the same Develop options be available? And while I'm asking this, it seems that the RAW versions of the OM-D are not being recognized... Maybe I just don't see them. The picture in the screen was form shots with my Nikon D60 I took during a long x-country drive (some of you might recognize the beach near Crescent City, CA)

6. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    What do you mean they "aren't recognized" -- are they not imported, or are they not editable? I shot an OM-D E-M5 with LR 4.3 and it worked fine.

Some options work differently or may not be usable on jpegs (detail extraction in the sharpening dialog comes to mind), but overall most things are available.

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    When I first tried importing, there was a message about some files being "unsupported". I thought they were the OM-D Raw format files... To be honest, I don't know for sure. I imported almost 20K images into this new laptop and they are all in one catalog. I'm having some problems now trying to organize them. Obviously I must cull these pictures!

8. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    If you are shooting RAW + JPG have you tried this

In Preferences go to "Set import and file-handling preferences"
    Enable "Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos"

You should now see them as separate images on import.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Go to the library module. Up the top click on the metadata tab. That will bring a drop down listing all the cameras and lenses used for shots in the catalogue. If theres the EM5 listed you can click on that to see only the Olympus shots that have been imported.

LR 4.3 definitely supports the EM5.

Gordon

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    LR is a great program, but intuitive is not a word you'll hear used to describe it. I strongly recommend picking up a copy of Scott Kelby's Lightroom 4 for Digital Photographers book, and walk through the first half a dozen chapters or so, page by page, while sitting at your computer, doing the exercises as they're described in the book.

By the time you finish this, the program will make sense and be very easy to use. And no, I have no financial interest in the book.

11. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Did you have any movies on the card? I have problems importing the E-M5's movies and have to copy them manually for some reason. I don't take many, so I've not troubleshot it yet.

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    No, no video in the card, but possibly video from the external HD I used to transfer the files from another computer. These videos were made with a variety of devices including a Kodak PS camera and a Fuji PS camera.

Thanks again to everyone who wrote. Your help is greatly appreciated!

13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Great video, just watched the whole things.
    I picked up a couple of new tips and tricks. :smile: