1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 4.2 released

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dhazeghi, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Adobe has just taken the wraps off of the final version of Lightroom 4.2. Of interest to m4/3 users is the newly added support for the Panasonic G5. The release also fixes numerous bugs. Support for the newly announced Olympus E-PM2, E-PL5 and Panasonic GH3 is not yet present.

DH

• Like Like x 6
  2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    751mb!
    But the server currently seems to be working at full speed.

3. Yeah, at that size I feel like I should wait until I need the support for any of the new cameras before I update.

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think that's partly because they include both the 32-bit and 64-bit executables in one bundle.

DH

5. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Not very smart of Adobe, I reckon :rolleyes:

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    IMNSHO, they're catering to those whose computer knowledge isn't that great. But it sure would be nice to be able to download the x64 version alone. I download the whole thing, break open that archive and immediately toss the x86 version. :smile:

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Funny since the update notice comes from the LR app you would think LR would notify the server of the current version/arch installed and just get what is appropriate. Saves everyone some pain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Here's a really dumb question from someone who's been using Lightroom since v.0.x...

For an existing file type (such as m4/3 raw), what does it mean to "add support" for a new camera? Specifically, for example, what changes happen when Adobe adds the Panasonic G5 to LR4.2?

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    jnewell,

RAW formats are tightly coupled to camera hardware. When new hardware is used, RAW formats generally change. For example, an Olympus .ORF file from the E-P3 is different than an .ORF file from the E-M5 because the sensors are different and the saved data may be slightly different.

When software processes a RAW file to generate an image, the software first checks the EXIF info to see if it knows how to read a particular RAW file. Prior to today, LR4 had no knowledge of the structure and layout of a new camera such as the Sony RX100. So LR4 wouldn't even try to read the file.

The new update includes information on how to decode RX100 files, so LR4 can follow the new rules to generate an image. This is how support is added for a new camera.

Generally, the rules for decoding a RAW file should be provided from the camera maker to the software developers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I didn't look at the size, and it seemed to download quite quickly here. Actually, the update for the Mac was only 426 MB anyway. I just checked my download folder.

The big plus in my view is using Luminance noise reduction. The slider wouldn't move properly if you had Clarity applied, it was jerky and it stuck and you couldn't fine tune the amount of noise reduction you applied very easily. That was a bug and it's fixed.

At last I can actually play around with noise reduction and see what effect it has with E-M5 files. Actually it has very little effect because I see little noise in my files so I'm only setting it to somewhere in the 1-7 or so range but to do that I needed to be able to shift the slider by 1 point at a time and that was simply impossible previously.

If you use Clarity and you occasionally want to use noise reduction, then there's definitely something in this upgrade for you.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Even ignoring camera support, it offers some real bug fixes that are probably worth it. Anyway, are you paying for 'net access by the MB? Unless you're downloading it on a smartphone, 750 MB isn't really that big.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks!

John

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's well over an hour on my DSL at home. That puts it in the category of unhelpfully large. Fortunately the Mac version is a bit more reasonable, but it's still hardly convenient.

(And no, I can't get faster access than 1.5mbit there.)