1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 4.1 colour fringing correction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by D@ne, Jun 6, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The "remove chromatic aberrations" function in Lightroom 4 never did a darn thing for me...I kept reading it was an amazing tool, alas, I couldn't get it it work.

The recent 4.1 upgrade added "colour fringing correction"...a little eyedropper where you select a portion of the image that has a purple (or green) cast and voila! It cleans up the entire image.

I'm thoroughly impressed and thrilled with this little addition. At work now, but will post examples later if anyone cares to see.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bragur

bragur Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    Absolutely, the PL25 is a pure joy these days!

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    These are just screen caps examples...please don't judge the actual photograph! Magnified to show detail. Shot with PL25. No additional processing.

Before...

307sux1.

After...

90q9fp.

• Like Like x 3
  4. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I've got a PL25 and suffer from the same fringing problems. Where exactly is this eye dropper tool? I've never noticed it, only seen the CA correction sliders in 4.2

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    OK, in the Lens Correction panel, select the Color panel.

Top control: a tick box for Chromatic Aberration correction, actually only lateral chromatic aberration, which functions automatically. All you have to do is tick the box.

Immediately below that there is an eye dropper on the left with the word "Defringe" following it. This works on purple or green fringing which is longitudinal chromatic aberration. To use the eyedropper simply click on it and it floats free. Move your cursor over the image and pick an area of purple or green fringing. You get a little panel showing an enlarged pixel view floating near the eyedropper which shows you how the fringing varies in shade from pixel to pixel. Move the eyedropper over a pixel showing the deepest colour and click. Lightroom automatically picks up on the hue of the fringing and should defringe it automatically based on your clicking on the hue. You can increase the amount of defringing applied if you like, and also adjust the colour sliders slightly if necessary.

If the fringing is a colour it can't fix you'll get an error message telling you that.

It seems to work extremely well in my experience.

6. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    David A: Thanks

If purple and green is longitudinal CA, then what color is lateral?