1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 3 Not Recognizing E-M5 Images

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kundalini, Oct 20, 2012.

1. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I did a search and couldn't find my answer.

First a brief history. I have an E-P3, plug it into my computer, ib starts up for importing. I then move the images to Lightroom 3.6 and everything is fine for editing.

I rented an E-M5 and a couple of lenses this past week for a trip to the mountains to see if I wanted to upgrade the body. When I try to move/copy the files to LR3 (already imported to ib), there is no preview for the images and I get a message "the files are from a camera which is not recognized by the RAW format support in Lightroom."

Is there another download I need to have them to be recognized? LR3 was updated last night to version 3.6.

Thanks for your help.

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't think it's going to. I don't think Adobe added support for the OM-D until LR4.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Lightroom 3.x does not support the E-M5's RAW files. You need Lightroom 4.1 for that.

What you can do is download the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter (free), and convert your ORFs to DNGs with it. Those should work fine with Lightroom 3.x. However if you plan to use the files with Olympus's own RAW software, you'll need to keep the ORFs, since Olympus doesn't support DNGs.

4. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the quick responses. I was afraid your answer would be the correct one. I'm downloading the trial version of LR4 now.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kundalini,

Use the Adobe DNG converter. I run it through the converter directly from the SD card to a folder on my desktop then use the LR3 import funtction. Works fairly well. I passed up the upgrade to LR4 to buy Nik software suite.. no regrets.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Great/better answers! :smile: :thumbup:

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    LR4 is worth the upgrade, even if you don't have a new camera.

Gordon

8. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Damn good suggestion for a work around. I mainly use LR as a file manager and do most of my editing, which is very limted, more global than specific areas, in CS5.

This year's budget for G.A.S. is mainly for hardware rather than software.... but I will keep it in mind for the future.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I assume that by global editing you mean applying corrections to the entire image. LR is so much easier to use than PS for that purpose I can't image why you prefer PS.

10. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    It's just a matter of preferences and workflow. I like a couple of the features in LR such as Sync with similarly lighted images within a sequence. The tilt adjustment tool in LR is very easy to use. Otherwise I am more comfortable to fine tune in PS. Different strokes for different folks. All roads lead to Rome, but the paths taken may vary.

11. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Agree 100%. LR4 is significantly better at recovering shadows than previous versions of LR. I've gone back and reprocessed old images and gotten much better results. I'd highly recommend the upgrade.

12. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    This i undeniably true - LR4 is significantly slower than 3, though. I didn't feel like my system was that old but LR4 positively chugs compared to 3. Takes forever to render the 100% view. Just thought I'd mention that to any LR3 users who are already experiencing less-than-optimal performance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

True dat! I have a new system that's pretty beefy, and I did notice a little slowdown. Doesn't really bother me, but then again, I had to buy a new system (due to a hardware failure, not because of LR) so I shouldn't notice it at all. Something to consider if you've got an older system.

14. usayit

Whether or not the upgrade to LR3 to LR4 is totally dependent on your workflow. Not everyone uses LR for adjustments of shadow and highlight details.

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    There's a thread here that talks about speeding it up. I run LR on two machines and have not seen any slowdown at all.

16. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    I'll have to find that thread.. I bought LR4 because it was cheap and almost immediately went back to 3 because while it was nice to have native .orf support, it was less great to wait a second or two for slider changes to appear on the image. I found it painful in the extreme to use, nice to think it might be fixable.

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Found it for you - it seems to have helped quite a few experiencing slow LR4 performance!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    For the lurkers out there, note that this is also an issue with older versions of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements and the "fix" is the same. If you don't choose to upgrade then get the newest DNG Converter.

Any time you purchase a new camera you should expect to have to update your "darkroom" tool(s) if you shoot RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  19. usayit

I wish more manufacturers would just output in DNG.

20. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland

I gave it a shot, and it definitely perked up but the performance is still way slower than I'd happily work with.. my system is two or three years old now, I guess it's just that.