Lightroom 3 Beta - 30th June expires

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Jun 2, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Does anyone know what will happen when the LR 3 Beta free trial ends on June 30th

Will they issue the "retail" version that can be purchased - i.e. downloaded

Hopefully they will as all my images are now "tagged" etc., in the application and presumably the light will be "switched off" on the trial version on 30th June

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    After the programs explodes and the computer crashes....

then you just have to pay for the upgrade...... also some new features will be installed.
    It will find your library and everything will be in tact.....
    I don't know if you have PS4 but usually there's a discount if you get the 2 upgrades.....

3. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Don

I have one of the first versions of LR - so I reckon that I will need to buy a "fresh" copy of LR 3

There will be the usual £ versus $ price - i.e. we in the UK will pay 30% to 50% more than you lot.

I just hope that I can down load it and pay on line - but I suppose being Adobe I will have to send for a copy and get it thru the mail

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I don't know how they do it there...
    here in the colony you sign the rights to your 3rd born Grand to Adobe and they let you alone.....

5. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    too many "pirates" over here so they have to be careful

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    So, you can't just download from their site? I don't get that. It should be a secured site.

7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Usually they don't expire until the final product ships. Have they announced a shipping version. It was $99 for upgrade last version.

8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

If you have LR1 you can upgrade to LR3 for £75. I work at a University so could get an educational discount on the full retail version for £66.

They offer downloads direct from the site too so you can get it instantly.

9. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Some advice needed

I have LR 1.3 - updated to 1.4 on my Windows PC machine - I do not have the CD - just the "install" software on my hard drive and the serial number. I have kept it up to date with down loads from the Abobe site, the latest being 1.4.1.

Once LR3 Beta came out I stopped using LR 1.4 and downloaded the LR3 Beta version to my (newly acquired), iMac - all my images are now on the iMac - duly "messed" around with etc., and I have not use the Windows version of 1.4 for a couple of months.

Question - how can I get the Windows version of 1.4 onto my iMac and can I then upgrade it to LR3 using the download from the Adobe site - as I said I have the serial number for 1.4 but it came as a windows download, (I think!), as I cannot find a CD and have the LTRM_WWEFG_win_1.3.1.exe file on my Windows hard drive which I just run to install the app.

Do I need to start again with a new (full) version for the iMac - or can I copy and run the LTRM_WWEFG_win_1.3.1.exe - from my PC on the IMac and download and upgrade from that?

Also if I am successful in installing the win file on my Mac and then upgrading to LR3 - how do I get the images from LR3 BETA accross to whatever I end up with

(or to take an easy way out - do i ask my son's girlfriend who is still an Uni to get me a full copy and the student rate? - can she get two copies? - or would that be cheating?)

Cheers

10. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Bill,

There is a student edition of LR3 ? I want one! :biggrin: I don't think there is though. :frown:
    Maybe you should check the installer first, it should come with both platform installer file. After that you can upgrade, and import the catalog from LR3 beta.

11. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

12. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

BillN - I think in your case I'd advise giving adobe a call and seeing what the crack is with upgrading across platforms (win - mac). Best to be sure if you do go down this route.

I'm pretty sure the education versions are limited to one copy of each product per customer, certainly you can't place more than one order for the same product in a 12 month period.

13. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Hi Bill,

Maybe some words about box and download versions, upgrade and platform issues.

There is no upgrade accross platforms for Lightroom. And that is simply because your serial number is valid for the Windows and the Mac version.

I bought Lightroom 1.x as a box and I had it installed on my little iBook and on a Windows machine. I was even able to have my images and the catalog on an external disk which I could move from Mac to Windows and LR just used that catalog without complaint.

I upgraded LR 1.x via download to LR2 and today I upgrade via download to LR3. I do not know if you can upgrade from LR 1.x to LR3, that should be noted in the upgrade directions on Adobes site. Usually they allow to upgrade across more than one version but not too many. So I think that I can not upgrade from my CS2 up to CS5.

Hope this is of any help.

Cheers
    Ruediger