1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 3 available

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Herman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Final version. Sells at about 300 euro, upgrade 100 euro.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Lightroom 3 is here!

Just got my copy of lightroom 3, been playing around with the beta for a while already but nice to have the real thing at last.

Features I'm most looking forward to are improvements in noise reduction, sharpening and the ability to add grain. Looking forward to having a good play with it and updating my presets.

Anyone else got it? What do you like most about it?

3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I did not take part in the beta version of LR3 - too many major projects at work. But I will install my upgrade and begin playing soon...

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks Herman I probably will get it(running Beta 3), mind you the new Olympus 2 viewer as its called (Free) is very competent for Oly users and the RAW implementation is excellent, it just looks less click than Lightroom and is not as sophisticated.

Pany needs to redo SilkyPix along the lines of Olympus viewer.

5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi John from a Scot and a John

As a boy I lived in Edinburgh .. In Newington a street between Minto st. and Dalkeith road.

Eh way way back ;-)

6. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    I did some testing with LR 3beta and upgraded to LR3 today.

The import module got an improvement.

The new noise filtering module gives very good results for high ISO images without ending in a smear festivity.

And I also like to be able to add vignetting AFTER a crop.

And then there are a lot of improvements which you might notice only after a second glance. E.g. the print module got some polishment etc.

What I have seen from the transition of the catalog from LR2 to LR3 - this works well and fast. All my presets are still working and also my post export ImageMagick actions still work.

Once you have your catalog transitioned to LR3 and look at an image in the Develop module there is a small button which lets you switch from the old (pre LR3) development handling to the new one. Once you press that button you can either move the current image to the new handling or the whole filmstrip.

So I would say it is a real improvement and worth the upgrade.

Cheers
    Ruediger

7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I have been using the beta for several months. The noise reduction works well and can be quite helpful with m 4/3. I really like LR and ordered my upgrade yesterday. In the US if you order a Photoshop upgrade or another product you get 30% off Lightroom. As a NAPP member I also got 15% off Photoshop CS5 upgrade.

8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

UK folk - You can get an additional 10% off purchases as cashback from the adobe store by using TopCashback. I got £6.50 off lightroom education edition.

The link above is a referral link, which until the end of this week will earn you and I £2.50 if you use it to sign up with TopCashback. I've used topcashback a lot in the last 2 years and have saved £100s, including money off my GF1 from dixons, well worth signing up for.

• Like Like x 1
  9. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    what works well with Lightroom ?

I'm looking to get Lightroom, but would I really need to have Photoshop as well ? From looking at the specs it seems that there's only a couple of things I'd like that Lightroom doesn't have - panoramic stitching and HDR.

Am fairly new to using this sort of software, have used free version of Photoscape, and some dabbling with PS Elements (but not not on my computer).

Also, would it work on basic netbook or doI need to upgrade everything ?

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    You don't need Photoshop but it's a great program to have. I have had it since version 1 20 years ago and now pay about $175 for each upgrade. Photoshop elements gives you about 80% of what the full version does for $100 or less. There are student versions available if you happen to be one for much less than the $700 for the full version.

11. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    There is an enfuse plug-in for Lightroom, you may have a look at this. I do not have the link to it here, but a google search for 'lightroom plugin enfuse' should do.

Since I use Lightroom 2 I only start Photoshop when I have to scan some of my darkroom prints. I do not think this will change with Lightroom 3 :wink:

Cheers
    Ruediger

12. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Isn't there a really cool thing in the latest PS that allows you to take out parts of the image - i.e. a shadow, a person, a tree or a boat - in fact you seem now to be able to totally (and easily) manipulate the image

13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    It's called content aware fill it works but it also needs some tweeking in most cases.

14. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I upgraded from B2 to the final version of LR3. Now LR sometimes hangs when synchronizing folders... I'll go to the Adobe support pages to see if there is a workaround.

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  16. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Yes, I saw a video of this somewhere. It is cool. But I think that is more for people who live in the post-visualisation world. I tend to still stick to the pre-visualisation world :wink:

Cheers
    Ruediger

17. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have Photoshop CS4 with the latest Camera Raw, and LR 2.7 and the LR3 beta. I don't have Elements. I prefer using PS with Camera Raw because I still haven't figured out how to use LR - do I need LR if I have PS+CR? Does PS have similar noise reduction algorithms as LR?

18. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I ask that question in reverse; do I need CS4 if I have LR? I have both, and I use LR for about 99.9% of my photo processing. I import into LR, convert to DNG, browse for keepers, create a collection from picks, edit, then save in a new folder with a shoot name. Imports are saved in dng by shoot date, keepers are saved in full sized jpgs by a title.

I just did the upgrade to LR3 last night; it looks like a good improvement, more than any of the 2.x upgrades. Initial observation is that noise reduction is improved, which was always a weak point in any Adobe software (IMO). There are also tools to correct perspective distortion, so there is no need for 3rd party plugins. From what I understand, ACR is part of LR.

19. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    If you are happy with bridge/photoshop workflow then go with it. I used to work that way but I have found the improvements to Lightroom has made it much better and I can do about 90% of what I need to in Lightroom I have been using beta 3 v2 but just ordered the release version yesterday.

Adobe just upgraded cameraraw for CS5 but not for earlier versions because they want to give more reasons to upgrade. The beta version of lightroom will expire the end of this month.

20. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Just been playing around with a few higher ISO images from my GF1 and luminance noise reduction is much better. Makes the images far more usable. Clever stuff this new fangled technology.

I'm also finding that it is generally smoother to use, I found sliders could be quite jittery in LR2 and haven't found this to be the case in LR3.