1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 3.6 With G5

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by kevin boyer, Nov 6, 2013.

1. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    I currently have LR 3.6 that I've had for a couple of years. I haven't ever used it much before, but now with my new G5, I have started to get more interested in it. I have never shot raw before, but want to give it a try now. My question is this, will my version of LR work with my G5 when shooting in raw? I've done a Google search, but have come up with conflicting answers. I know that I could use the DNG converter, but would rather not at this point in time. I don't know much about DNG, and would rather keep it simple to start with.

Kevin.

2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It will not. You'll need to use the DNG converter. The Adobe cooked raws look pretty bad and for me take a lot of work to get looking as good as the Panasonic JPEGs, which isn't saying much because those look pretty bad too. I keep getting weird color casts/skin tones. Silkypix does an ok job, especially with the skin tone tool. The one thing neither does is fix CA as cleanly as the in camera engine.

3. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    yep, unfortunately the G5 raw files won't work with LR 3.6.
    however, there is no real drawback to converting to DNG. it is lossless and all raw data is preserved. just the inconvenience of another processing step, albeit a minimal one.
    i disagree with yakky though, regarding adobe processing. i have never been overly disappointed by it and can pretty easily tune images to my liking using LR.

4. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Thanks guys. Would it be advantageous to just upgrade to a newer version of LR that is compatible with G5 raw files? I would rather just do the LR one step process, and not have to deal with DNG as well.

Kevin.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are other improvements - newer sharpening and noise reduction algorithms, a number of video-related options, more sophisticated selective editing tools.

The trial for Lightroom 5 is free (for 3 days). Why not download it, and decide if it's worth the price?

6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Upgrading is a good idea. Not only would it give you the "one step process" by avoiding the need to pre-process the RAW RW2 files into RAW DNG files but it will also give you Adobe's newer and improved conversion engine.

Personally, I've been using LR4 with my RW2 files from a G-1 and find that the conversion is excellent. My only gripe is that it has been difficult to color manage my (old but excellent) HP B9180 printer for printing directly from LR4. Its hasn't really been much of an issue as I use LR4 as a replacement for the Camera RAW plugin in my Photoshop CS4. Photoshop prints to the B9180 beautifully with very little initial setup.