Lightest Full-Sized Tripods Available -- Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dadada_999, Dec 1, 2013.

1. dadada_999

dadada_999 New to Mu-43

Dec 1, 2013
    Hi all,

I've been looking for a tripod the last few days. I'm a little frustrated by the sheer number available and how they don't seem to be listed by weight, which is my main priority. We're all M43 users so i'm guessing a lot of use much lighter compact tripods. I want to know what the lightest options are. I'm talking about tripods that are significantly less than 2kg heavy, but can still extend to around 150cm, have a load capacity of 2kg or more and are fairly stable when used with mirror less compact system cameras. I'm guessing my camera with the heaviest lens won't weigh more than 700g. I'm looking for a compact travel tripod but not too niche and still has the features of a standard full-sized tripod. I've considered carbon fibre but my budget isn't great, so i'm possibly looking more towards aluminium

So far i've looked at the main brands like Giottos, Vanguard, Manfrotto, Benro Mefoto etc. Do you guys have any suggestions and advice?

Cheers

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You may want to look at some of the Sirui tripods. They may have a model that meets your criteria. B&H carries them.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have a Beike BK-476 carbon fiber tripod. It's some chinese import thing. The legs are pretty good for the price, certainly adequate for m4/3 stuff, but I'm not terribly fond of the ballhead. I have an even lighter and cheaper Dolica aluminum tripod, but it's extremely basic.

5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Sirui t-1205x

6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Consider saving up and getting a three legged thing brian or the aluminum vs. it's a really great tripod and worth the money.

7. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    It kind of depends on what kind of photography you plan on doing. I have a Hahnel Triad 40 Lite (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=tripods&id=68&pId=68) which was relatively cheap (50€), has a nice ball head and has served me well but I find when I'm doing long exposures of a couple minutes in the wind I get nervous and put it as low as possible. I've been recently looking at other options since my wife asked for Christmas ideas and although I want a tripod I can travel with I know that for my uses it has to be sturdy enough to give me piece of mind with long exposures. After searching again and looking at many options I'm going to put a Horusbennu CF tripod on my list
    (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HORUSBE...Convertible-monopod-w-Ball-Head-/261066799169)

They also have a more travel-friendly version :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HORUSBENNU-...ansform-Monopod-Ball-Head-Black-/281078164017

You can get both tripods without the heads from the same seller as well which brings the price down quite a bit if you already have a head to use
    Here are a couple threads from others who bought Horusbennu tripods:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1081696
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2918900#forum-post-37130082

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    RedGed TSC-424 4-section CF tripod here, with an RNB ball head. Whole thing weighs 1.2kg with the ball head, and is sturdy enough to carry a 5DII with most lenses. The 70-200/2.8 was pushing it a little though. Height with column down is about 110cm, extended is 145cm.

9. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Matthew
  10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I had a chance to check out a mefoto tripod at a client's home - the middle model and it was very cool. Light and seemed pretty sturdy - I almost ordered it, the larger model in fact but after a few hours on line searching, I found another tripod where the center column can be used horizontally which will be useful for my type of work, so I'm ordering a Benro A2970F model with a Vanguard SBH-250 Magnesium ball head. It will not be the lightest but it is not heavy by any means. Btw, on the mefoto site look at the 3 pros featured. One of them is our own giulio sciorio!

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I use the Slik Pro Sprint II. http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/DS-SPRINT_PRO_II.html

About $90 with head. Weighs under 1 kg. Up to 1600mm high. Snap-lock sections. Centre pole can quickly be inverted for mounting camera underneath (e.g. for macro).

Works fine for me - with great care (see note below).

General note: the lighter a tripod is, the less well it works - especially outdoors. It's a conundrum. A serious photographer is going to tell you that the minimum entry point for a mirrorless system (!) is an $850 set of legs like the RRS Versa 1, with a $400 head -- and then he's going to tell you to replace the centre post with a solid bolt, and even then, it is still only suitable for a maximum focal length of 300mm equivalent.

Now, I don't live on such an extreme planet or budget as these fellows -- but it shows how we can't assume that a tripod is a steady support if it doesn't collapse under the weight of one's camera.

So when I say the Slik is okay with great care, I mean being as conservative as possible when using it. If I have a choice, for outdoors photography I will use it while I sit on a chair or rock, centre post right down, with no legs extended or only the thickest section extended, camera well below my head level, looking down at the up-tilted rear screen (shaded by my head or hat) or EVF, and weighted down by a bag hanging by its handles from the top of the legs.

In other words, pretend that your tripod is useless without lots of help, and you should be okay. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Forgot to suggest the slik pro 330 dx as well.

13. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i am using this for 2.5 year and it served me well.
    i used with e-pl2 and e-m5 with 14-150 and 12-50 in windy weather and results are fine.
    but i cant use it with hld-6 on em-5.

http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/DS-SPRINT_PRO_II_3WAY.html

i think it is the cheapest option you can get.
    i got mine for 55$

but if i need to change my tripod, i definetly go for sirui T carbon series...

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    • Like Like x 1
  15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Horusbennu CF tripod and the mefoto roadtrip seem very similar. The CF version of the roadtrip seems significantly more expensive than the horusbennu

16. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Another one here for Sirui. I have the 1005 and a G10 head, pretty happy for what I paid. It is very light already so I am not sure paying the premium for carbon would provide any significant improvement.

17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have the Sirui N-1004 with the G-10 ball head it is in your spec regarding price and weight. I have also have the Slik sprint mini the Sirui is in a much higher class in term of built quality. The G-10 head is excellent with zero slip even when I use the p100-300 lens.

18. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Look at the Benro A1980F. 141.00 USD, from B&H. Folded 19.9" Has the Horizontal column function, is superbly made, with a weight of 3.9 Lbs. I have the A2970F and these Benro's are much better made than the Manfrotto's. Much stiffer/rigid. 4 leg sections.

Smooth leg extension's, 3 angle leg splay's and excellent machining on the center fitments. For the price and quality, they are superb and solid very low vibration, for aluminum.

I have had Gitzo and Manfrotto, and these are almost, as well made as the Gitzo's. But much better made than the Manfrotto aluminum.

Highly Recommended.
    Dennis.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have a redged tsc-424. I don't think its produced anymore but its a carbon fiber, 4 section(instead of 5) travel tripod. It weighs right at 1Kg. The orginal documentation stated that its max height was 60 inches, but I found that with the center column extended, its closer to 70". I have seen very similar tripods out on ebay for similar money. Its rebranded I suppose. The only issue I've had is that I've decided that I don't like twist lock legs. I think tab locks make more sense. I got a cheapie lightwieght ball head that is serviceable.

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Also, what exactly is your budget? There are some quality carbon fiber tripods out there that are are only marginally more than the brand name aluminum one's.