Light zone - is it worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Mattr, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    Downloaded LZ 4 for windows the other day and had a play last night. It seems very powerful for editing and the interface is quite nice, however I had great difficulty getting the print function to work properly (scaling issue) and there seemed to be a lot of noise produced on the image after processing was complete. I expect These will all be issues I can solve over time, but what's the general sentiment for LZ? Is it worth the effort or should I just stick with PS Elements?

Matt

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Light Zone or Lightroom?

3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Interesting, I'll have to give it a go...

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    My thoughts exactly. Looks like a blend of PS and LR. Not sure if one of the screenshots is showing layers, or just selective sharpening.

5. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Cathy
    I bought it a few years ago but found I preferred working in Photoshop. I should give it another try.

6. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    From what I can work out after just an hour or so, it takes its queues from the zone system and is supposed to be more like using a darkroom than PS. Still very early days for me on this. I think it will be a compliment to PS but not a replacement, but hey its free.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    LZ limited

I tried LightZone for about three weeks. While the concept generally produces good results, it seems more difficult to use and would certainly require more apps in the workflow. A bit outdated.

Remember, this was a product from a company that ceased operation, and no other firm was interested enough to buy it.

Lightroom, ACDSee Pro, AfterShot Pro and Zoner Photo Studio Pro are all much more practical approaches to the raw development workflow, IMHO.

And stand-alones like Photo Ninja and DxO Optics Pro produce better results.

Bob