Light Weight Ballhead for Tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dohearne, Jul 21, 2013.

1. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    I have a Gitzo 1228 tripod, center column removed, Markins base, and Arca Swiss B1 Monoball. I am happy with this setup and it serves my DSLR well plus my new OMD. However, now with my OMD I am looking to cut more weight and initially looked at all the threads on travel tripods. The biggest weight item on my tripod is the Arca Swiss Monoball and I am thinking why not just get a light weight ball head for the OMD. Does anyone know why a ballhead such as the Joby Ballhead X would not work? Are their any heads people would suggest under a $100.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I use a Markins Q20 on my Gitzo, but picked up a Sirui C-10 to use with a Novoflex Basic Ball. It is a nice smooth, compact head (that has a pan function), and it can be found at B&H for $79 USD. If size and price are important, it is absolutely worthy of consideration. While it may not be a Markins, it is quite well made, has a nice warranty, and comes with a travel pouch. It is up to the task of handling any m4/3 body with a native lens. Sometimes it has a tiny bit of shift on lock down, but it is not much, and can easily be corrected. But hey, it is $79, and the ball is butter smooth.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Ken, great suggestion on the Siriu C-10.

4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I use the Joby Ballhead X on my full size tripod and it works great. I even use it with my D3S and 35/1.4, which is obviously much heaver than any normal m4/3 setup.

5. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Brett, thank-you. Your comments are very helpful.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Siriu G-10X is a little bigger then the C-10 but has and additional friction nob and two level bubble. The friction nob helps to eliminate "the tiny bit of shift on lock down". It cost 99$ at B&H
    Sirui G-10X Ball Head G10X B&H Photo Video

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This sounds like one I've been looking for, thanks! :cool:

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I compared it with a similar Redged ballhead when I purchased it, and there was no comparison. So far, I have been reasonably impressed with Sirui's quality, especially at its price. I know there are a few Suri owners here, and I have not heard too many complaints, so that seems to be a good sign.

Good luck,

--Ken

9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    To echo above comments, both the Sirui C-10 and G-10 are excellent. I have the C-10 on my Sirui T-025X travel tripod and use the sturdier G-10 on my Oben lateral arm tripod for still life use. FYI you can get G-10 (older non X version) from eBay seller thePhotogadget for $77 shipped from China. I ordered one back in May - took about 2 weeks to get to NYC. Very happy-smooth transaction and item is the real deal NIB with paperwork etc.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    I have the C-10 on my T-005 tripod and am very happy with both. I see the new "x" tripods are advertised as including new C-10x ball heads. The photos I've seen of x and non-x ball heads look the same. Are they improved, or did they just add an "x" to the model numbers?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

11. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hmm - even though I see C-10X listed I'm pretty sure the head is the same, I upgraded my T-025 for the newer X model(wanted removable center column), and I couldn't tell any difference between the two heads as far as I can remember. The G-10X however has a couple notable differences from the G-10 - redesigned knobs, new panning scale, and placement of bubble level.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks. Yes, although I really like (and use!) my T-005, I've been contemplating picking up one of the new X models with removable center column for those times when I really want to get low to the ground. Interesting they changed the model number of the C-10 but didn't change the ball head itself!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.