1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Light Weight Ballhead for Tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dohearne, Jul 21, 2013.

1. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    I have a Gitzo 1228 tripod, center column removed, Markins base, and Arca Swiss B1 Monoball. I am happy with this setup and it serves my DSLR well plus my new OMD. However, now with my OMD I am looking to cut more weight and initially looked at all the threads on travel tripods. The biggest weight item on my tripod is the Arca Swiss Monoball and I am thinking why not just get a light weight ball head for the OMD. Does anyone know why a ballhead such as the Joby Ballhead X would not work? Are their any heads people would suggest under a $100.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I use a Markins Q20 on my Gitzo, but picked up a Sirui C-10 to use with a Novoflex Basic Ball. It is a nice smooth, compact head (that has a pan function), and it can be found at B&H for $79 USD. If size and price are important, it is absolutely worthy of consideration. While it may not be a Markins, it is quite well made, has a nice warranty, and comes with a travel pouch. It is up to the task of handling any m4/3 body with a native lens. Sometimes it has a tiny bit of shift on lock down, but it is not much, and can easily be corrected. But hey, it is $79, and the ball is butter smooth.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Ken, great suggestion on the Siriu C-10.

4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I use the Joby Ballhead X on my full size tripod and it works great. I even use it with my D3S and 35/1.4, which is obviously much heaver than any normal m4/3 setup.

5. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Brett, thank-you. Your comments are very helpful.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Siriu G-10X is a little bigger then the C-10 but has and additional friction nob and two level bubble. The friction nob helps to eliminate "the tiny bit of shift on lock down". It cost 99$ at B&H
    Sirui G-10X Ball Head G10X B&H Photo Video

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This sounds like one I've been looking for, thanks! :cool:

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I compared it with a similar Redged ballhead when I purchased it, and there was no comparison. So far, I have been reasonably impressed with Sirui's quality, especially at its price. I know there are a few Suri owners here, and I have not heard too many complaints, so that seems to be a good sign.

Good luck,

--Ken

9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    To echo above comments, both the Sirui C-10 and G-10 are excellent. I have the C-10 on my Sirui T-025X travel tripod and use the sturdier G-10 on my Oben lateral arm tripod for still life use. FYI you can get G-10 (older non X version) from eBay seller thePhotogadget for $77 shipped from China. I ordered one back in May - took about 2 weeks to get to NYC. Very happy-smooth transaction and item is the real deal NIB with paperwork etc.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    I have the C-10 on my T-005 tripod and am very happy with both. I see the new "x" tripods are advertised as including new C-10x ball heads. The photos I've seen of x and non-x ball heads look the same. Are they improved, or did they just add an "x" to the model numbers?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

11. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hmm - even though I see C-10X listed I'm pretty sure the head is the same, I upgraded my T-025 for the newer X model(wanted removable center column), and I couldn't tell any difference between the two heads as far as I can remember. The G-10X however has a couple notable differences from the G-10 - redesigned knobs, new panning scale, and placement of bubble level.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks. Yes, although I really like (and use!) my T-005, I've been contemplating picking up one of the new X models with removable center column for those times when I really want to get low to the ground. Interesting they changed the model number of the C-10 but didn't change the ball head itself!