1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Light Modifiers for FL-600R & FL-300R?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by twokatmew, Mar 22, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have both of these flashes and recently purchased a Lumiquest UltraSoft for my FL-600R. I'm contemplating also getting a soft box and am looking at the Softbox III.

I know this softbox blocks the AF-assist light on most flashes, but some of the reviews say to tilt the flash up a click, and the AF/exposure-assist works fine. I'm wondering if the FL-600R is too small for this. If I'd only be able to use the Softbox III in manual mode, I'd go for a smaller box like the Lumiquest LQ-107.

Re the Oly FL-300R, I realize this is a low-powered flash, but is there any type of diffuser that will fit this oddly shaped little flash? So far I've just been dialing down the flash power and using it bare. But it sure would be nice to diffuse it somehow.

I'm open to both homemade and commercial solutions. Advice much appreciated. :biggrin:

2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Check out the Wescott Pocketbox series, as well(I have the PocketBox Max). I have that and the Softbox III and the Wescott seems a little less 'wonky' when mounted. I like this modifier better because it's got an added inner diffuser, seems like the lights a little softer. You can rotate the body of the FL-600R around so that the RC sensor faces the on-camera flash when in wireless, or you could buy a TTL cable.

Depends on what your shooting but you can also mount these little flashes on a light stand and use with either a 30" shoot thru umbrella, or even a Joe McNally Hot Shoe softbox from LastoLight. My FL-600R and FL-36R have worked with both of these modifiers, but I had to use the TTL cable with the softbox.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thx! It's $10 less expensive too. :smile: I did purchase a TTL cable (only 3' stretched to max), but my understanding is that if the softbox blocks the sensors on the flash, I'll have to use manual flash, as TTL won't work even with the cable (flash may be much closer to subject than camera). Am I misunderstanding? New at this.... :eek: Also, how would I manage two flashes with TTL cable? Is there a special cable available?

I'm starting small, just shooting small items (and perhaps some close-up/macro) on a tiny light table. :smile:

4. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes I-m learning as well :smile: Now that you mention it when I did have the Lastolight Softbox set up - I think I did end up having better results by shooting in Manual and then dialing up the power as needed.
    I have shot wirelessly through shoot-thru umbrella and Pocketbox using the flash in RC TTL mode. When using a diffuser you usually have to add some Flash Exp Compensation to account for modifier. So it may be a case of which method you prefer? adjusting flash power by using compensation +/- or adjusting power level in Manual mode (1/4, 1/8 etc)-whichever method works best for you.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You shouldn't have a problem with the sensor using off-camera flash because the FL-600R has a swivel head. Just turn the softbox to your subject and turn the body of the flash away from it. It is also a very good, sensitive sensor.

If you're worried about using AF assist however, you might want to consider the original Lumiquest softbox instead, which is cut at the bottom to not cover the sensor.

For quality of results the Lumiquest soft boxes should do you just fine, and no they will will not be too big for your FL-600R. The only gripe I have with them is in build quality. They fall apart way too easily for me. Your Ultrasoft is better built, in my opinion.

You might want to look into something like the Aurora if build quality is a concern to you. They are made with softer fabric which is much more durable than the cheap stiff plastic used by Lumiquest. I do use a lot of Lumiquest products though, so don't think I'm against them. It still gets the job done even if I have to tape it up, lol. I also use half a dozen speedlights at a time, so I can't be too picky on individual products.

Another thing you might want to look at getting is a speed strap like the Honl Speed Strap. Then you won't have to mess up your flash with ugly permanent stick-on velcro, plus you will be able to easily use your softbox on any flash and if the female velcro wears out it will be easy to replace. Unless you've already got all your flash heads covered with velcro from your Ultrasoft, that is...

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Ned, I could never stick velcro on my flashes! I'm way too picky for that. :eek: I picked up a Lumiquest UltraStrap along with my UltraSoft, and it's working great. The UltraStrap ended up being a bit less expensive than the Honl Speed Strap, because I got a package deal.

I'm not worried about the AF-assist lamp on the flash, just the flash's ability to know how close it is to the subject.

OhWellOK, yes, I'm used to having to increase the flash power depending on the shot. Manual flash is not that big a deal. Years ago when I shot a manual 35mm SLR, I figured out flash settings by using the little chart on the back of the flash. I just like to keep all my options open. :biggrin:

Thanks!

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I took a piece of elastic band and sewed it to fit on the flash and then sewed the velcro onto the elastic band. Now I have velcro and no mess on the flash!

The velcro is too strong and the elastic gets pulled off so expect that to happen when you move things around.

Wide elastic bands are best.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    They're great for getting stuck filters off step-up rings, too! :smile:

9. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

OP: Did you find any modifiers for the 300R? I'm looking for one too. Thx

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    No, nothing. I think I'm going to have to fabricate something myself ... just as soon as I figure out what I want to make and how to adhere it to the flash!