Light-leak/smear technique?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by SNTP, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    Hey everyone!
    I've come accross some great photos linked on, and I'm left scratching my head on how these photos were created.
    Here is the link: Using the E-M5 for fashion (by Andre Arthur) | 43 Rumors
    According to Andre in the comments: "Well, you may not believe me, but there’s almost no post processing on any of these images. Apart of some skin and colors, there’s no motion blur or layers thing.

Everything (even the blurry and moving lights) is handmade while I’m shooting. Thats a kind of personal identity of my work. That’s all about the optics. Thanks a lot!"

I've seen some photos like this before, and they've all claimed: hand held and no flash.
    My question is: does anyone know what technique was used to take photos like this: [​IMG]
    My first guess was using something like a black-card technique... but it doesn't explain how the subject and parts of the photo are still so sharp.
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Notice the lighted "Champs" sign on the right is not blurred but the one on the left is blurred.....

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos
  3. usayit

I think it would be more effective to do a simple double exposure of sort.... bulb exposure, blur the background, lens cap, model positioning, remove cap and followup with a pop of the flash on the foreground to complete the exposure. Done many times in film days...

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos
  4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I don't know if this is the technique this particular shooter uses, but look up '2nd curtain sync'. It's also known as 'slow sync flash' or 'rear curtain sync'. Essentially the flash pops at the end of an exposure before the shutter closes (usually using a slow shutter) so you retain blurry lines in the background but your subject is sharply lit by the flash right at the end of the exposure.

You can see it in many night club photos - bunch of hot girls frozen in motion but the background lights are all trailing - sometimes ghost trails from the movement of the main subject too. I'm sure there are other applications for it but that's where I see it most.
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I don't think this is 2nd curtain. The picture on the left has the left out of focus, but the right (which is further away) is sharper, along with the model. Have you asked him how he does it? Worst he can say is "I wouldn't like to share my methods."
  6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    ^ Yeah, I was just throwing it out there because it's the first thing that popped into my head.
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I believe this has to do with some the FujiXspot user "the sardonic iconic" does in his fashion shoots. He usually uses a cheap prism, that puts in front but usually on the side of the lens that makes the light to diffract and create wierd halos, dreamy bla bla bla stuff.

But those trails looks like a second curtain flash technique though. hope this works.

heres some of his stuff Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
  8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
  9. usayit

I definitely could believe this as a feasible technique to get similar results. Would explain why only part of the lights in the frame are blurred rather than the background being uniformly blurred.
  10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    This seems bang-on for the visible effects, he's dragging some of the light in-shot around by rotating something in front of part of the lens.
  11. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    But again the photographers claim no flash, which eliminates most of your suggestions. I know my E-PL1 does multiple exposures in camera, and then you can choose how much of which image should be shown. Perhaps blocking out part of the image with a card for the first motion blur, then removing the card to keep things in focus and have nothing else for the second image to overlay is the key?
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've heard that but the in the comments the photographer plainly says he uses flash when needed and never did say no flash ever.