Light in darkness

PetitP

Mu-43 Regular
E-PL1 with 20/1.7

5250167976_efa190f1e9_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5250168148_85ab93d329_z.jpg

5250168408_282592a1ee_z.jpg

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
You keep making images like that and an Ad agency will find you.
Then you'll have to make lots of money with your photography...
The Horror!

PetitP

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks StreetS:smile:,
My wife never made me such nice compliments ! Will you marry me ? :rofl:

A bit more seriously, do you think that number 2 and 3 would deserved to be cropped (to recenter) ?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Marriage, hmmm best offer I had all day....

I don't think that you should crop the images. The thing is, especially with #3... it has a very nice sense of dynamic movement. If you crop to center, it will become stagnant.
The thing with minimalism is to keep the info of the subject as minimal as possible but yet add dynamic movement. This movement is felt as part of the visual elements of the image. You've applied that device very well.

Oh, my wife just said... No Divorce, we're together till death....
sorry..

PetitP

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for your comments, I was far from looking at things this way. And when you said I "'ve applied that device very well", that was not in purpose :biggrin: when pressing the button.

PS : Best regards to your wife, lucky man.:wink:

See you around,
LittlePierre.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
these are wonderful PetitP ... I noticed your Lambretta scooters in the "Winter ..." thread had a similarly quality of zip and movement ... the subject "Light in Darkness" would make a good share/show thread too

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Maybe you didn't employ this concept on a conscious level but you still employed it.
It came from inside my friend....

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
I'm also very impressed by these shots, and I wouldn't crop them at all. I'd really like to ask, are these achieved with in camera settings or are you using black and white conversion software?

Nate

PetitP

Mu-43 Regular
Many thanks all for your comments.

Nate,
These pictures are "straight" (resized with Olympus IB software) out of the camera using camera settings.
I used in-cam "grainy" art filter (it gives B&W pictures) which, from my little experience (2 months) gives great result on subjects who are also originaly somehow black and white.
Especially for you Nate, here is one photo to illustrate the above comment....probably much too old to fit into a Navy plane :wink:

5068737135_eb28fb8cc5_z.jpg

Slightly off-topic, the plane (father is the pilot) where this altimeter was. Prototype of Druine Turbulent.

Attachments

• IMG_6888-2.jpg
    IMG_6888-2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 114

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Those are very nice, I haven't used the grainy art filter much, but I have been experimenting with in camera monotone settings. My current Monotone setup is Contrast: +1, Sharpness: +1, Filter: Green, Tone: Neutral. Here's a couple that kind of work with your thread title:

Basement Window

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5256136816/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr"> View attachment 154132 "480" height="640" alt="" /></a>

Bottles in the Window

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/56678159@N02/5255524361/" title="Untitled by Nate Hahn, on Flickr"> View attachment 154133 "640" height="512" alt="" /></a>

Latest threads

Top Bottom