Light field case for G5 + 100-300

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by johnnymg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2013

Can some recommend a field case for the G5 with a 100-300 lens please.

Perhaps the Lowepro 65??? :confused:
    Toploader Pro 65 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
    I currently use the 75 version of this case for my full sized SLR with 300mm lens. This case is built like a tank and I wouldn't mind going just a tad lighter if possible.

2. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Maybe too light, but Case Logic makes a case that is basically a neoprene sleeve that fits over the camera. It fits around the straps on your camera, and when you pull it out of the case the case dangles from your camera strap if I recall correctly. I've never used it but I remember seeing them in Target and Best Buy.

Here it is on Amazon. You can see the camera strap attachment and how it dangles down when in use. Case Logic SHC-101-BL DSLR Day Holster - Blue: CASE LOGIC: Camera & Photo
  3. johnnymg

johnnymg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks, that might be just the thing for very light protection.

4. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Check out the Tamrac Adventure Zoom 5 Model 5515. This is what I currently have my G5 / 100-300 in. It gets a bit tight when trying to zip it up, but I usually just use the quick clip connector to keep it closed. This makes it quick in/out of the bag.
  5. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    The Tamrac fit chart doesn't mention the G5. But it works OK?
  6. johnnymg

johnnymg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    From looking at various reviews it looks like the G5 + 100-300 needs a case at least 7.0" deep. Maybe a bit more if you add in a filter. The Case Logic SLRC-202 fits up to a 7.1" cam/lens combo so it's the current front runner. Anyone have that case and cam/lens combo???

7. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    The 'D-Midsize Zoom' version of this one fits my G6 with 100-300mm mounted like a glove:

OP/TECH USA Soft Pouch - Digital D-Series

I would think the G5 would fit just as well.

Keep in mind it's just a sleeve though, stops scratches/etc but not much padding for bangs or drops!
  8. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    I've used a Kata DL-H-531 Hybrid D-Light Shoulder Bag with that combination. It's very light and seems of very good quality.

The bag is in 2 parts, allowing you to use just one section or both. I found that one section can just hold a G5 and 100-300mm, so you'd have some flexibility - only take one part of the bag when you just need that combo, or join them together if you wanted to carry more.
  9. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
  10. johnnymg

johnnymg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    I got the SLRC-202 case. Won't have a chance to try it with the cam/lens until Sun as the cam was delivered to an alternate address. Will post back on how well it fits.