1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Light but Stable Tripod gor GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dangermouse1968, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    So, I have a Manfrotto 190 from my dSLR days but it weighs, what, best part of 2 kg???? I would like a lighter model that I can possibly carry in my backpack on my mountain bike when out for a whole day. Any recommendations for a sub 1 kg.

Thanks,

David

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    ultrapod

ultrapod 2 mate. ok its not got hight (about 6'') but it will go in your bag.

gorrilla pod !!!! NO :mad:

I have one of those too. and its @£$@$% crap.

3. Benro C069M8

Old tripod set up is a Bogen 3221 with 3055 ball head. The ball head feels as heavy as the Benro with the stock B00 head. Saving the pocket change (long process not much pocket change) for a Real Right Stuff BH-25 head. Should be little or no weight gain. Hook on the center column allows easy attachment of some weight. I hook my camera bag to it when needed & possible. Windy, gusty conditions require some form of weight to stabilize the tripod. The big neg for the lightweight design.

Set up works fine with my heaviest lens. 45-200mm Pany.

Specs ~0.8kg, ~135cm max ht.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 for the Benro. Folded, it fits in my Tenba mini-messenger bag.

There is another version that doesn't fold QUITE as small, but one of the legs can be removed and work as a monopod.

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  6. Ronghualu

Ronghualu New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2011
    well, my knock-off cheap gorilla-like tripod with mini ballhead attached has served me very well. cheap, small, light, clamps to almost anything. it's been a useful addition to my kit.

7. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have a Gorilla Pod SLR zoom with a Redsnapper Ballhead and I've found it to be a revelation, seems very stable and its really improved my shooting.

8. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Thanks Chris,

that looks just the ticket and at a decent price too. Please could you tell me the height as I'm struggling to find it on the web. Also, do you use it out doors much, is it ok in thick grass, wet areas, beaches etc?

Cheers,

David

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I just picked up a rocketfish 47" carbon fiber tripod. It is a discontinued product that was sold at bestbuy (that is their in-house brand). It comes with a basic ballhead and plate, is quite compact and the center column/head can be mounted reversed to make it even more compact (I would say no more than 15 inches or so). They are going on ebay now for about $50 (find one with a best offer and you could probably get it closer to $40 shipped). For the price it is relatively light weight, sturdy and comes with a head. I bought it to mount a flash on, but it would easily handle anything m4/3 can throw at it too. It has a hook to hang a bag on for extra weight/stability when needed as well. About as good as you can get for around $50 I'd say!

Oh, best search term on ebay to find them: rocketfish 47 tripod

10. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Benro Travel Angel in CF or Aluminum. Caryy it on my motorcycle all the time. Works great with my E-P1.

11. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Ok, so done some reading and still confused. Reviews suggest the gorilla pod is not for. CF is a waste of time as it is not much lighter than aluminium and I don't want to spend much on my second tripod. How about this......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/50-Tripod-Panasonic-Cameras-Camcorders/dp/B003KUSJV4/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Just to give you an idea, the first time I expect to use it will be when I off-road mountain bike across the Isle of Wight and back !!

Thanks,

David

12. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    I use a cheap and cheerful £10 tripod I got from 7dayshop on my MTB, is pretty small (max height is about 1m if that) but solid enough (though some care needed with leg clips) and cheap enough I don't mind if I crash and land on it.

Its other advantage is it's small, so fits nicely in the mesh pocket of my camelback, or inside a small timbuk2 messenger bag when out with that.

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Go to a store and hold two of the same tripod, one in Al and the other in CF. The difference is HUGE, especially when it's on your back on some tight singletrack.

Read up some more on cheap tripods. You will end up spending the money eventually, and how frustrating are taking the pictures in the mean time? Better to just do it right the first time. That said, I have a hard time justifying the 2x price difference between the Benro and the Gitzo just for the name.

14. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Sounds like an amazing trip! But the 2lb load capacity of that tripod makes me suspicious...

If you really want to go light, look at this:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX-rEiEAT0g]Tamrac ZipShot Tripod - YouTube[/ame]

Or this:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNe7cuI_3q4]SteadePod - YouTube[/ame]

You can mimic the SteadePod with a 1/4-20 nut, a piece of string, and a washer.

15. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Anyone tried the Velbon Ultrek 43D? Very compact (<12"). Expands to 60+". Supports 3kg with an included ball head. It's listed on ebay for $195 w/free shipping. Review here:
    Velbon Ultrek UT 43D Tripod Review.

16. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Looks interesting. I've been happy with the Trunnion Shaft System on my Velbon. It does require some twisting force to lock, and like any tripod you should make sure the legs are secure before putting weight on it, but it is a small and fast system for sure.

Here's another option, albeit expensive from Vanguard:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fcr8vwaaFU]Vanguard Alta Tripod - YouTube[/ame]

I'm using Vanguard tripods now and overall I'm happy. Quality products with a good feature set. I wish they used a standard mounting plate though...

17. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011