Life On A Lemon ...

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These little things, about a centimetre long, are living out their lives on an ageing lemon in the garden, on a bamboo stake. They are attracted to something about the decaying fruit, mold, fungus or/and other qualities not discernible to me.

They live on similarly decaying oranges, and the occasional banana – I have a veritable orchard staked in the garden, all good fun – just to attract the faeries from the bottom of the garden.

Him – with the longest front legs, on a lemon.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Her, on an orange.

It on my finger. Every time I tried from the side it turned away.

She is actually laying beneath the skin here. He appears to be guarding, attending her.

It got crowded on the lemon after a while.

Alone at last.

Oh, oh … here comes trouble.

Two males fighting over a female, antennae and legs flailing, lasted a couple seconds. Not the best but the only shot.

For a change, she appears to seek him out.

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Had a look at your site Mark. Excellent macro imaging - I'm impressed.
Thanks Allan.

Very nice. Seems they're not so different from us...
Thanks PD... Instinctive nature is universal, according to the form. The difference is a capacity for self reflection, we think and get emotional, they don't - at least in as much as they don't hold onto it.

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These little things, about a centimetre long, are living out their lives on an ageing lemon in the garden, on a bamboo stake. They are attracted to something about the decaying fruit, mold, fungus or/and other qualities not discernible to me.

They live on similarly decaying oranges, and the occasional banana – I have a veritable orchard staked in the garden, all good fun – just to attract the faeries from the bottom of the garden.

Him – with the longest front legs, on a lemon.
View attachment 555952

Her, on an orange.
View attachment 555953

It on my finger. Every time I tried from the side it turned away.
View attachment 555954

She is actually laying beneath the skin here. He appears to be guarding, attending her.
View attachment 555955

It got crowded on the lemon after a while.
View attachment 555956

Alone at last.
View attachment 555957

Oh, oh … here comes trouble.
View attachment 555958

Two males fighting over a female, antennae and legs flailing, lasted a couple seconds. Not the best but the only shot.
View attachment 555959

For a change, she appears to seek him out.
View attachment 555960
Amazing inspiring images ;story and description. Where did you get your 46mm Achromat dioptre lens ? ( for Oly 60/2.8 Macro ) Cheers :)

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The picture where they are battling is a winner, the blur makes it seem as if one is slapping the other in the face.

MarkB1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Amazing inspiring images ;story and description. Where did you get your 46mm Achromat dioptre lens ? ( for Oly 60/2.8 Macro ) Cheers :)
Step ring and raynox. Or step ring and any achromat you want.

Absolutely stunning images.:eek::eek::eek:
The picture where they are battling is a winner, the blur makes it seem as if one is slapping the other in the face.
One is 'slapping' the other. It lasted a couple seconds and was over, dominance established.

Thanks all for your comments, appreciated.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom