Life is slowing down and size is having an impact.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Hello, for the last 3 months things have been getting a bit slower for me, I am more indoors spending my time with my partner or adulting (the task of being a responsible being with or without a desire to do so), and the few times I do go out an take out my E-M1 Mark III with me (usually with 12-100 Pro) I am getting more and more bothered by the size and weight. What I mean by that is that if I find myself having to carry other things with me, more often than not a shopping bag or the pupper on a lead, trying to make pictures and holding the camera with my right hands gets frustrating enough that I give up on an image even before I try to make it. Even the camera bag that I carry with me, if I need to take the Quick Escape 800 with me it gets me to doubt if I should bring the camera ... while my Crumpler Jimmy Bo 500 is more conspicuous and less noticeable on my hip it doesn't like the E-M1 Mark III as much as it used to like the E-M5 Mark II.
The slow-down is also in part of having a baby coming (of which I found out it's going to be a girl today) I have been making more room in my life for family and less of myself, even my thoughts have been aiming towards my Peanut. I will make photography shift towards documenting family more than anything else, for which started to feel that my Big Oly and 12-100 Pro may not be best suited for the first few years of doing that, though less lens changing would still be a priority maybe shedding some more weight would make it more comfortable, physically and mental effort.

For which I am wondering how well does the E-M5 Mark III with the Oly 12-200mm combination handle compare to E-M1 Mark II/III with Oly 12-100mm. Feature-wise it wouldn't be too much loss, most of which I would probably miss is HHHR, Live ND, and the better Face/Eye AF.
1628217025226.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They don't look to much different and even weight wise 1.140 grams VS 970 grams doesn't seem all that significant, trying to hold the E-M1 Mark III with 12-100 Pro always felt a bit front heavy using with one hand, feeling the urge to hold the lens with the left hand. The Oly 14-150mm lens would have been an alternative but I never managed to like that lens before and the loss of 12mm feels a bit harder to accept now that I got used to it. On the other end I wouldn't want to lose to much telephoto reach for outdoors and going down to the park (try as I might I can't get rid of the desire to shoot wildlife and birds) ... adding my Oly 100-400mm lens with me on baby outings doesn't make a lot of sense for me ... nor would be swapping lenses on the chance of missing the wider angle for closer-up interactions. ... but then if I do use my Oly 100-400mm how would the little E-M5 Mark III feel like having strapped a huge black long and girthy stick to it :(
Just to torture my brain I added the 14-150mm and 12-45mm to the comparison too:
1628217492546.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...........................1.140 grams ....................................................................................... 970 grams ....................................................................................... 700 grams ...................................................................................... 670 grams ..................................................

Starting at 765 - 800 £ for a used E-M5 Mark III it's not bad for the amount of camera it is. Any similar interests or experiences would greatly be appreciated.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you do not need the speed, I suggest looking at the Panasonic-Lumix 12-60.
Although it might be a bit slow for indoors. For indoors, I use a 17/1.8.​
It gives you most of the range of the 12-100, but in a smaller/lighter package.
I normally use it on my EM1-mk1, but it would do just as fine on an EM5 or even EM10.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Ovidiu, I have three different basic kits:

E-M1 MkII + 12-100 weighs about 1,260 grams
E-M1 MkI + 12-50 weighs about 803 grams
E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ weighs about 376 grams

All with cards, batteries, filters, lens caps and straps.
All take excellent photos.

I take whatever is appropriate for the day, along with choice of other gear.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Congratulations on Her Imminence. Welcome to the club. We're up to three grandkids around here.

Kids mostly live indoors. Kids move fast, even infants. Poses and behaviors flash by - IBIS won't help you, here. For my money, short of using a f/1.8 prime, the fast-ish f/2.8 O12-40 is the ticket. Its weight is related to its speed and speed can be critical. It balances nicely on either an E-M1.x or E-M5.x. Indoors, you will seldom need more reach than 40mm gives you. For outdoors reach on a budget, there's always the plastic-fantastic O40-150R. Good reach indoors, though, comes dear.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Your gear is way to fancy for a new family.
Trade down to M5mkii with 12-50EZ.
All you can afford now. Lolmao!

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Buy a small body, even an E-M5 MkI, and pop an f/1.8 lens on it. My preference is for the f/1.8 25, but others will prefer either shorter (17mm) or longer (45mm).

The 25mm (50mm in 35mm format terms) was the standard lens for about 50-70 years for good reason!

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Buy a small body, even an E-M5 MkI, and pop an f/1.8 lens on it. My preference is for the f/1.8 25, but others will prefer either shorter (17mm) or longer (45mm).

The 25mm (50mm in 35mm format terms) was the standard lens for about 50-70 years for good reason!
100% this👆.

An E-M1.x is a great camera, but if you think your hands are full now with a pup and some shopping bags, wait until you add a baby with a diaper bag and everything else that comes with it.

For the first year or so, you're going to want to be in arms reach of that girl of yours whenever you're shooting pics, so I would choose the O17/1.8 for the wider POV. And a smaller body makes a lot more sense for a small prime like that.

I would say the E-M1.3 is going to go on the shelf for a couple of years except for a few occasions when you have grandparents or other extra hands around for the baby. It'll come in handy along with those pro zooms when she starts playing football or doing martial arts or whatever.

Congratulations on the start of your new adventures. Take lots of pics, because it goes fast. Mine are both in high school, but it seems like just yesterday I was in your shoes.

- K

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Congratulations on the arriving peanut. I second the ideas of fast primes and F2. 8 zooms for the assignment. Also, if you don't use flash, learn how. It's the most cost-effective way to good indoor shots.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
Congratulations on Her Immanence. Welcome to the club. We're up to three grandkids around here.

Kids mostly live indoors. Kids move fast, even infants. Poses and behaviors flash by - IBIS won't help you, here. For my money, short of using a f/1.8 prime, the fast-ish f/2.8 O12-40 is the ticket. Its weight is related to its speed and speed can be critical. It balances nicely on either an E-M1.x or E-M5.x. Indoors, you will seldom need more reach than 40mm gives you. For outdoors reach on a budget, there's always the plastic-fantastic O40-150R. Good reach indoors, though, comes dear.
I very much second this - fast primes or the faster normal zoom on a smallish body, practice using flash. Keep your long slower lenses for outdoor use. For walks you may want a better shoulder strap or harness arrangement.

In the first half year or so, if you do walks and naps in a carriage, you might have time to fiddle with gear outdoors and listen to podcasts in peace. Probably last chance for twelve years or so, so enjoy.

Get used to occasionally using your phone.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
I have the EM1.3 and the EM5.3, as well as the 14-150 and the 12-200.
The EM5.3 and the 12-200 were going to be my walk-around street combo,
but I'm finding the lack of grip on the EM5.3 makes the lens feel a bit heavy.
I may get a grip for the EM5. The 12-200 feels great on the EM1.3.
The EM1.1, which I also have, is actually a quite light and agile camera with a good grip.
It's too bad you don't like the 14-150, because with the EM1.1, it's a great lightweight set.
That was my street combo for a long time and I may go back to it.
As for all the suggestions for primes, it doesn't seem to me they are flexible enough to keep up with a kid - after she starts getting around of course.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Perhaps your choices might also depend on what you want to do with your pictures - whether you want to print large for the wall (how many prints will it take to fill the blank spaces on your walls ? :)), or simply make photo albums of your child's youth. If it is the latter, you don't have to restrict yourself to an ILC.

Many of us, perhaps all of us, exist in albums where photos were taken by small-form cameras, with smaller sensors, and these cameras remain a very convenient option for recording your child's development and family life. I never look at old photos of my five kids and wish they'd been taken by a better camera - the enjoyment of the memory is in what you see, not how it was recorded. You already have the imaging equipment you want for the big prints and important occasions, but for the rest of it I would look at finding something that can be with you 24/7, and that compliments your family commitments and lifestyle.

I'm thinking perhaps a Canon G1Xiii, a Panny LX100ii or a Canon GX5ii might be a really good addition to your photographic arsenal for what you want to do. The former starts out at f1.7, for example, and the latter at f1.8 - and both can fit in your pocket quite handily. The Canon GX5 would probably be my choice for I love small Canons and the price is within my means. But the much maligned Panasonic LX15 might also be a great choice. The lens starts at f1.4, it will shoot at 10 fps, it really WILL fit in your pocket, and the 1" sensor will allow for some decent imaging out of that pocket :D. The price is pretty good too, somewhere around £450 if you shop well.

It can't be understated that you will take hundreds - perhaps thousands - more photos with a small rig that is with you than you ever will with an ILC hanging from your neck or wrist.... and the chances are the smaller rig will capture the really special one-off moments in your life, especially as your child will not react nearly so much to you taking pictures. I carried an Ixus of some denomination for nearly all of the 90's and early 2000's, and made some pretty special memories with them, especially at times when the bigger cameras were nowhere to be seen. There is nothing, just nothing, more convenient than a camera in your pocket when you have kids.

And then, there's a phone if you're that way inclined. But I really do prefer a camera to handle.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
As for all the suggestions for primes, it doesn't seem to me they are flexible enough to keep up with a kid - after she starts getting around of course.
This really does depend on personal preference and behaviour, but - speaking personally - I've found I have far more success and enjoyment out of the small primes with kids. Yes, there are some circumstances where I'd prefer the zoom (and I use it). And yes, there are circumstances where I end up cropping because the prime and time and space didn't permit the perfect cropping or perspective. All just the normal trade-off between convenience and speed and zooming and IQ - cropping is usually the least of my worries.
But I echo the point above - for me with indoors and lighting constraints, as well as having a light convenient kit I can have one-handed a lot of the time (with other stuff going on, well, there are never two unencumbered hands), the small moderately-fast prime is in frequent use.
And huge factor in this is that I very often do need that extra one to three stops (depending on what we're comparing to), first of all to keep shutter speeds and ISO reasonable.
Even in good light the extra stop often comes in handy. IBIS doesn't cut it when the subject is hyperactive, focus faster, etc.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Thank you all for all your advice and kind words. I do have 2 primes for indoors, my Pany Leica 15mm f 1.7 because it's the widest and fastest lens before perspective distortion kicks in (at 12mm the corners can feel quite stretched sometimes) and I found myself shooting between 14mm and 17mm with my zooms the most when I was doing street photography.
And my last addition is the little Pany 42.5mm f 1.7 for low light because I like the bokeh a bit better from the ASPH element that Panasonic uses and it has flatter curvature field so I would worry less when the subject runs towards the frame ... And really amazing minimum focus distance.
When I had my Oly 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro I wasn't a happy camper indoors because in the winter my living room couldn't get me exposed well under ISO 3.200 and 1/30 sec at f 2.8, in the summer is a bit better but not by much. I did buy 2 10W LED smart lights (instead of 7W ones from Philips) which gives me almost a full stop extra light above 1.5 meters from the floor but only half a stop at feet level. I'm not a big fan of the skin tones when you go up on ISO between 3.200 and 6.400. I do have the little FL-LM3 but that's more of a last resort than bombarding the living room with light even if it is bounced off the celling.

Maybe I should give the Oly 14-150mm a second chance, the price is quite cheap compared to what I paid for 4 years ago, or maybe the 3rd gen Panasonic 14-140mm. It's very helpful to know that the grip of E-M5 Mark III doesn't handle very well the 450 grams weight. Right now I can't afford to add to my camera gear so it would have to downgrade/sidegrade to afford it, that's why price is a consideration ... As much as I love my E-M1 Mark III (it still looks brand new because of the vinyl camo wrapping kept it safe).

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
All the best mate.
Now your no longer, the lone grey wolf... 😉

For which I am wondering how well does the E-M5 Mark III with the Oly 12-200mm combination handle compare to E-M1 Mark II/III with Oly 12-100mm. Feature-wise it wouldn't be too much loss, most of which I would probably miss is HHHR, Live ND, and the better Face/Eye AF.
I think if you find the EM1.3 & 12-100 to large I doubt the EM5.3 & 12-100 will be a big enough change to make a real difference. To me it would be more physiological than a practical change, and it would take up the same space in a bag.

I would keep the EM1.3 and get the Panasonic 14-140

Having both lenses I think the Oly 12-100 is the better lens but the Panasonic 14-140 is not that far behind.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
You are experiencing a life change. Big time. Stop worrying about gear. You don't have (and won't be able) to take a camera everywhere you go. As others have pointed out, there will be diaper bags, strollers (prams?), and an infinitely unimaginable array of paraphernalia to take along.

There is life to live beyond photography. If you feel you must have something, buy a high quality pocketable P&S with a good zoom range, automatic flash, keep the camera set on auto, and go document your kid's life. Unless you plan on printing a whole crap-ton of photos (you won't), that's all you need. Keep your current gear for after you settle in and have a handle on the demand of this new responsibility.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Real Name
Ovidiu
Perhaps your choices might also depend on what you want to do with your pictures - whether you want to print large for the wall (how many prints will it take to fill the blank spaces on your walls ? :)), or simply make photo albums of your child's youth. If it is the latter, you don't have to restrict yourself to an ILC.

Many of us, perhaps all of us, exist in albums where photos were taken by small-form cameras, with smaller sensors, and these cameras remain a very convenient option for recording your child's development and family life. I never look at old photos of my five kids and wish they'd been taken by a better camera - the enjoyment of the memory is in what you see, not how it was recorded. You already have the imaging equipment you want for the big prints and important occasions, but for the rest of it I would look at finding something that can be with you 24/7, and that compliments your family commitments and lifestyle.

I'm thinking perhaps a Canon G1Xiii, a Panny LX100ii or a Canon GX5ii might be a really good addition to your photographic arsenal for what you want to do. The former starts out at f1.7, for example, and the latter at f1.8 - and both can fit in your pocket quite handily. The Canon GX5 would probably be my choice for I love small Canons and the price is within my means. But the much maligned Panasonic LX15 might also be a great choice. The lens starts at f1.4, it will shoot at 10 fps, it really WILL fit in your pocket, and the 1" sensor will allow for some decent imaging out of that pocket :D. The price is pretty good too, somewhere around £450 if you shop well.

It can't be understated that you will take hundreds - perhaps thousands - more photos with a small rig that is with you than you ever will with an ILC hanging from your neck or wrist.... and the chances are the smaller rig will capture the really special one-off moments in your life, especially as your child will not react nearly so much to you taking pictures. I carried an Ixus of some denomination for nearly all of the 90's and early 2000's, and made some pretty special memories with them, especially at times when the bigger cameras were nowhere to be seen. There is nothing, just nothing, more convenient than a camera in your pocket when you have kids.

And then, there's a phone if you're that way inclined. But I really do prefer a camera to handle.
I was thinking about something in the lines of that but since getting a Sony RX100 Mark III for my girlfriend I've noticed that more compact cameras haven't yet overcome the shutter lag and I don't think I can live with not getting the moment right, once of the reason I shot short bursts. Else I would probably be happy with an RX10 and RX100 from landscape and wildlife to portraits and travel pictures.

Hell ... even the idea of going JPEGs only has been torturing my mind as a way to minimize PC time (outside of gaming of course) and processing chores. Don't know if I can live with leaving image quality on the table for the sake of convenience.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom