1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

life after Aperture?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by manju69, May 27, 2015.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi All,

After hearing more about the photos app for mac and it looking like it won't serve my needs, I am considering what to do as an Aperture 3 user. Have any of you moved across to lightroom CC? I shoot jpg right now but that may change. I have loved the library and editing combo of Aperture... but it has a limited lifespan...Thanks!

2. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Yup. I moved to LR a while ago. Now on their subscription package with PS & LR and I consider it the BEST value for money in my photographic arsenal. £8.50 a month: the price of four cafe lattes, or 2 pints of beer or two good tog magazines. And it's free upgradeable.

Okay, you don't own it - but, so what?!

You'll soon be enjoying RAW editing - but in the meantime, practise on ya Jay Pegs. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am in the same boat you are and I have downloaded LR CC. I am still low on the learning curve for LR. It seems to be the best viable option to replace Aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I think you can still buy LR as a stand alone product. This makes a lot of sense if you don't need the full version of PS and can get along with Elements. That way you can upgrade as needed, maybe every other generation and I think the upgrades are $79 US. This has worked well for me. LR can do 99% of what I want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm still using Aperture, but like you, looking around for a replacement. I've tried Lightroom on and off for the past five years. I have the Photoshop plus Lightroom subscription so I've been able to use Lightroom more.

I just don't like it. I don't like the user interface, the way the tools work or the way the application works as a whole. So far I haven't found anything about it I like.

What I miss most from Aperture is the non-modal way it works. I can move from the library to working on an image without changing modules. I can see the settings for all the work I've done on an image while in the library. I can see the library, image and the tool settings all at the same time. I can mask almost any tool and have multiple instances of almost any tool.

Is there any other application that functions like this? I'd love to switch to something as easy and functional as Aperture.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If you want a digital asset manager (DAM) that does some editing and allows for round trips to plugs like Aperture does......the candidate replacement list is relatively short.

1: Lightroom
    2: Capture One Pro

Adobe has written utilities for importing Aperture libraries. Just remember that in Aperture you could have done either the default managed library (master images are hidden inside the database package) or a referenced library where the master images are in subfolders in the file system. Lightroom only does a referenced catalog; so all images are stored in folder in the file system.

Maybe soon we will start to see the difference between the LR6 and LR CC Develop Module. Lets hope we get at least one new good function a quarter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJY...ature=youtu.be

For folks using or considering Lightroom you might want to visit this site. http://www.lightroomforums.net/forum.php

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I used both Aperture and Lightroom since the beginning and slowly preferred and switched to Aperture full time. After using Aperture for 10 years, I switched back to Lightroom a few months ago after debating which app to go with. The others were Capture One and DxO Optics Pro.

At the end of the day, Lightroom may not be the best for RAW conversions (I preferred Capture One), but taken as a whole, Lightroom was the best option in terms of my my workflow. IMO, organizing images as well as the way it handles plugins were the main advantages over the others. It took a few weeks to get used to Lightroom again, but now feel right at home with it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    You can use DxO as a plugin and get a DNG returned to Lightroom.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Is the returned DNG file rendered with the adjustments made in DxO or can it be sent back to continue working where you left off?
    Fred

10. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I simply still using the same *old* Aperture, with all my plug-ins: even though the fact that it doesn't get new support by Apple, still working as before, so I don't have a "real" reason to change, at least for now. I hope it will remain the same for the next OS X upgrades...

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Don't remember trying to bounce between LR and DxO repeatedly. I dropped DxO as I can do more of what I want using LR and Perfect Photo Suite.

12. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I never warmed up to LR so am using Corel's AfterShot Pro2 85% of the time and ACDSee's Pro Mac 3 for the rest. I do process some images with DarkTable too. The thing I enjoy about ASP2 is that it is quick. The time it takes me to process with my other two programs I can have all them done with ASP2. Is the program perfect? No, but it does most of what I require from it. Aperture 3 is missed and I am not happy with Apple abandoning it.
    GR

13. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    How do you do round trips from AfterShot or ACDSee to a plugin (Nik, Topaz, PS, Perfect Photo Suite,...etc.)?

14. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    ASP2 has its own plug-ins you can download, with most being free or for just a nominal charge. Just do a google search for AfterShot Pro 2 plug-ins to see what is being offered.
    As for ACDSee I don't know of a way to use plug-ins with the current edition. I have been told they are working on a new updated Mac version so things might change with that program. My take with ACDSee is that the program is quite capable of processing images well for what it is. My problem with that software is that in the past it has not been very well maintained, leaving users out in left field until someone at ACDSee finally got around to correcting a problem. Hopefully, with them adding more Mac programmers to their staff that situation will change. The program has much potential and really could be one of the best Mac processing programs out there with just a little loving care. Time will tell. Right now if you want to try it out they have the Mac program on sale for around $30 or so. AfterShot Pro2 has been getting pretty regular updates and bug fixes which has been nice.

15. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I'm an Aperture guy that bought LR6 about a month or two ago now. I've only opened Aperture to access images for clients that I shot before the transition. After a day or two of tutorial videos and google searches i feel like I was up to speed on doing all that I did on Aperture and then some. In all honesty I'm loving LR6 more than I thought I would. I got the stand alone version and plan to use PE for heavy duty manipulation, although I've yet to need to do so since the LR6 healing brush fits my needs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is my situation too. We'll see where photos goes but right not it does not cut it.

http://ibakeheshoots.com/5-reasons-why-i-ditched-lightroom-for-capture-one-pro/

17. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks everyone - some really helpful pointers and things to ponder here....

18. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    agreed ! I'm a CC subscriber and I have the total package .... its g0od value

19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I don't need to "own" yet another copy of LR. I have a row of boxes in the closet of the previous versions. Does anyone think they are really worth anything? All I want is the legal right to use software. So CC more that fills the bill. Can't wait for the dehaze tool to be released for the LR Develop module.