LH-66 Lens hood broken - repair

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zulfur666, Jan 26, 2015.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    So my lens hood for my Oly 12-40 f/2.8 broke.... one of the push buttons was just loose and it seemed the spring was broken. I had intially ordered a new one from B&H and then researched "broken LH-66 hood"
    Not finding anything here on mu43 I came across an article http://photo.net/olympus-camera-forum/00cZdB
    The aluminum ring that surrounds the buttons is lightly glued on to the plastic hood. Luckily, it's not glued very well. I ran my fingernail around the seam slowly and it started to separate. Unlike the poster in the article I did not use a hair dryer, just my fingernails and slightly pushing with my fingers. It easily separated. Be careful not to lose the axle pin (metal) the button rotates on - it's tiny and loose.
    Bent the spring up a bit more then re-assembled it, but instead of gluing it, I used double sided tape so next time the spring pops I can repair it again easy.
    Thought I share my experience. Anyone else has had a broken hood? In all honesty I find the other pop snap hoods I bought for instance for the 9-18 a better fit instead of the 2 push button solution. JMO.
    After I repaired it in less than 30min I cancelled my B&H order for the new hood
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Hank77

Hank77 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    My refurbished 12-40 shipped with a broken hood. Olympus sent me another one, and so I took the broken one apart the same way you've described. The issue again was just one of those pins being slightly unseated and so the spring slipped out. I was able to re-seat everything, but I haven't glued it back together. I like the idea of double sided tape. I was originally thinking of using a very thin layer of silicon adhesive to keep it all together.