LH-66 Lens hood broken - repair

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zulfur666, Jan 26, 2015.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    So my lens hood for my Oly 12-40 f/2.8 broke.... one of the push buttons was just loose and it seemed the spring was broken. I had intially ordered a new one from B&H and then researched "broken LH-66 hood"
    Not finding anything here on mu43 I came across an article http://photo.net/olympus-camera-forum/00cZdB
    The aluminum ring that surrounds the buttons is lightly glued on to the plastic hood. Luckily, it's not glued very well. I ran my fingernail around the seam slowly and it started to separate. Unlike the poster in the article I did not use a hair dryer, just my fingernails and slightly pushing with my fingers. It easily separated. Be careful not to lose the axle pin (metal) the button rotates on - it's tiny and loose.
    Bent the spring up a bit more then re-assembled it, but instead of gluing it, I used double sided tape so next time the spring pops I can repair it again easy.
    Thought I share my experience. Anyone else has had a broken hood? In all honesty I find the other pop snap hoods I bought for instance for the 9-18 a better fit instead of the 2 push button solution. JMO.
    After I repaired it in less than 30min I cancelled my B&H order for the new hood

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hank77

Hank77 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    My refurbished 12-40 shipped with a broken hood. Olympus sent me another one, and so I took the broken one apart the same way you've described. The issue again was just one of those pins being slightly unseated and so the spring slipped out. I was able to re-seat everything, but I haven't glued it back together. I like the idea of double sided tape. I was originally thinking of using a very thin layer of silicon adhesive to keep it all together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.