1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lever Locking Ballhead <$100

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by STR, Jul 25, 2014.

1. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    I've got a compact and full size tripod.They have two different types of ballhead and I'm not particularly fond of either. I want to get one standard ballhead for both.

• I use a GH3, primarily with 12-35, 35-100, 100-300. Something stable enough for the 300 is necessary.
    • I like lever plate locks, because it's quicker and easier to pop the camera off.
    • I have less of a preference for the swivel locks. Knobs or levers, either/or, though it seems the swivel locks are usually the same style as the plate locks.
    • Separate locks for panning and tilt, for panoramas.
    • I don't have a preference for plate style (though something that could be used on a future long lens would be preferred slightly).
    • I think $300 for a lump of lubricated metal is absurd. That is not a dig at you or your own preferences. Might be willing to go above $100 if it was everything I could dream for in a ballhead.

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have a $300+ lump of lubricated metal, and I have owned or used several lumps of metal that sell for under $100. In the latter category, I think that it may be challenging to find a lever lock release, especially if you want Arca/Swiss compatible plates. If you can handle knobs, then I might suggest some of Sirui's ballheads. They have been my preference for affordable ballheads. They feel quite nice, but when I load up a ballhead with a lot of gear, I still use my Markins because, IMHO, it truly is an amazing lump.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Hence the whole thread. Arca plates would be nice, but I wouldn't call it a high priority. Main thing is lever release with separate pan/swivel locks. There's at least one Manfrotto I saw on B&H matching my needs, but reviewers complained about the plate design they used.

In regards to the other response, I hand-hold 99% of my shots (which are often pixel-perfect because the lenses have amazing stabilization) and thus lack the justification and the need for something that's suited for someone using a D800 with a 600mm f/4, or whatever. For something like THAT, an expensive beefy ballhead might make sense (and you've spent so much on equipment that the tripod assembly is a rounding error).

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would concur. The needs of shooting with my Nikon and long glass are very different than my m4/3rd's equipment, and that was why I felt comfortable with my Sirui recommendation. But I do have to admit that my Markins ballhead is an amazingly beautiful piece of industrial design. It may be overkill for some, but I have little patience for bad equipment when I am using a tripod, and it is very well behaved in all kinds of conditions. But, as they say, YMMV. Sorry I unable to recommend any lever release ballheads.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Don't sell yourself too short on buying a support system. For the price you are asking, I think that buying used might be your only option.

If you want to go with new, you can get an acceptable outfit for between $130 and $175.

I recommend that you look at what Midwest Photo Exchange has to offer. There stuff is pretty good, reasonable prices and a reputable shop.
    http://mpex.com/bags-tripods/tripods-supports/kits.html

8. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Already have generic Chinese OEM gear. I'm looking for something a step above that, but a step below pro DSLR gear. Something like the well regarded Sirui gear, just with a lever release. If I can't find that, I'll probably end up with the Sirui,

I could justify something in that range. Have any specific recommendations?

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Fully agree, the worst quick-release design ever invented, and the ball heads aren't all that great either.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I personally like the stuff in the Induro line, so I would start there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.