Lets talk CAF settings with the EM1MK11 and firmware 3.1

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thought we could say what settings we use and possibly why.

EVF frame rate high -----Try to keep up with subjects as smoothly as possible
IS focus priority -----High shutter speed means i could turn IS off
FPS 8 ----- just a speed ime happy with
REFOCUS +2 -----Trial to see if it works for me
9 Box focus pattern -----For a bit of leeway around the center point
Center point start -----Just feel its the right one for now

Don't want to use center priority as if the camera is working out the contrast/colour depth or whatever of the target i initially focus on and my center point goes off target, i then want the camera to look for that information under the other focus points i have given it.

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Mostly same as you.

I use as fast FPS as possible, using electronic shutter if the background won't be obviously distorted - just more options for shots this way, and electronic scares wildlife less.

5x5 box center priority for flying stuff (easier to pick up the target), single small or normal for waders and walkers. I have a dedicated AF home button to toggle between 5x5 box and single center small AF point.

I don't have a problem with focusing on background too much, center priority seems okay and C-AF has no intelligent tracking of subject so it doesn't matter what was on the initial spot really. I also don't have a lens with a focus limiter so set the software focus limiter fairly tightly for my intended subject. It's pretty good, I'd recommend experimenting with it to speed up and prevent focussing on extreme foreground/background even if your lens has a focus limiter. I have the REC button mapped to AF limiter in this dedicated mode.

To focus on shooting, I use center priority metering and blinkies instead of histogram.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
I leave IS on always. While at high shutter speeds it may not help the photo, it makes a huge difference to being able to keep the subject in the viewfinder, especially with long lenses. And if the subject isn't in the viewfinder...

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Mostly same as you.

I use as fast FPS as possible, using electronic shutter if the background won't be obviously distorted - just more options for shots this way, and electronic scares wildlife less.

5x5 box center priority for flying stuff (easier to pick up the target), single small or normal for waders and walkers. I have a dedicated AF home button to toggle between 5x5 box and single center small AF point.

I don't have a problem with focusing on background too much, center priority seems okay and C-AF has no intelligent tracking of subject so it doesn't matter what was on the initial spot really. I also don't have a lens with a focus limiter so set the software focus limiter fairly tightly for my intended subject. It's pretty good, I'd recommend experimenting with it to speed up and prevent focussing on extreme foreground/background even if your lens has a focus limiter. I have the REC button mapped to AF limiter in this dedicated mode.

To focus on shooting, I use center priority metering and blinkies instead of histogram.

I tend not to use E shutter for two reasons, i often have backgrounds that could distort, also and i have no proof for this i think the noise from the shutter will often help to give me eye contact with the bird, this example when looking at it i feel the bird is watching me, which i like.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
p5140145 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Metering i use spot metering most of the time no fancy version just spot.

I use focus priority on the shutter, tried release and didn't get on with it.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I tend not to use E shutter for two reasons, i often have backgrounds that could distort, also and i have no proof for this i think the noise from the shutter will often help to give me eye contact with the bird, this example when looking at it i feel the bird is watching me, which i like.

View attachment 762189p5140145 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Metering i use spot metering most of the time no fancy version just spot.

I use focus priority on the shutter, tried release and didn't get on with it.
I find that with foliage and greenery or water in the background it doesn't matter if it distorts. Straight pine trees and man-made poles are the problem. As for the eye contact - they stare at me anyway if they spot me, but it's a preference thing - I prefer to have them looking at whatever it is they're going to look at normally, not me!

Pigeons, sparrows, mallards, paradise shelducks, geese, swans, swamphen and seagulls are very used to people (and unfortunately are used to being fed by people so often actively approach). The other birds I encounter (shovelers, teal, herons, spoonbills, terns, godwits, oystercatchers, stilts, plovers, shags) are pretty easily spooked - they will not approach that closely and are quick to fly away so e-shutter and focus limiter do help. In any case, I have the focus limiter on a button I can switch it off immediately if required. I actually have multiple focus limiter settings, so I can switch between them by holding the button and turning the dial - this is useful when switching to taking photos of a wader or walker that approaches closely.

Definitely focus priority on shutter... release priority just ends up with so many OOF shots...

ChrisG

Mu-43 Regular
I have a dedicated AF home button to toggle between 5x5 box and single center small AF point.
I was particularly interested in this comment. Can you advise if this works in both C-AF and S-AF, and which button you dedicate for this purpose please? I have frequent difficulty in finding my EM1 II focus point shifts from the centre when I'm framing a shot to a point the camera decides to focus on, not necessarily where I want it to focus! Probably just me not using the camera correctly.

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
I was particularly interested in this comment. Can you advise if this works in both C-AF and S-AF, and which button you dedicate for this purpose please? I have frequent difficulty in finding my EM1 II focus point shifts from the centre when I'm framing a shot to a point the camera decides to focus on, not necessarily where I want it to focus! Probably just me not using the camera correctly.
+1, very interested how to set that up.

Also I think I already learned something from this thread! I was getting random burst slowdowns (not SD card related), and I couldn't figure out why! But now I think I realized I set IS to stabilization priority!

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
You can tie AF Home function to the selection of S-AF/C-AF AND AF pattern, or you can just say AF Home changes only AF pattern without changing S-AF/C-AF selection. In the former case, if for example, 'Home' is set up as 'S-AF Single point', hitting AF Home button will switch to S-AF Single point even you are using C-AF 3x3. In the latter case, if 'Home' is set up as 'Single point', hitting AF Home will not change S-AF/C-AF, but switch to Single point pattern, from currently used pattern such as 3x3 or 5x5.

Assigning AF Home button to a dedicated button will be dependent on your setups. You can assign it to either of front Fn buttons, if you are not using them. If you are using them for other (or default) functions, you need to find out other buttons (like EVF view switching button on the left, or Fn1 button on the right top) to do the AF Home. In my case, all the buttons on the left side is kind of useless because left hand is always holding the lens, and most of them are telephoto. So I assign AF Home to Fn1 on the right top, then, I use arrow pads (around OK button) to call AF Area Selection. With EM1X, I assign AF Home to the center button of the joystick.

I find AF Home function is useful when I see a perched bird and want several shots focused on the bird's eyes, and then quickly go back to C-AF pattern and prepare for BIF shots.

ChrisG

Mu-43 Regular
You can tie AF Home function to the selection of S-AF/C-AF AND AF pattern, or you can just say AF Home changes only AF pattern without changing S-AF/C-AF selection. In the former case, if for example, 'Home' is set up as 'S-AF Single point', hitting AF Home button will switch to S-AF Single point even you are using C-AF 3x3. In the latter case, if 'Home' is set up as 'Single point', hitting AF Home will not change S-AF/C-AF, but switch to Single point pattern, from currently used pattern such as 3x3 or 5x5.

Assigning AF Home button to a dedicated button will be dependent on your setups. You can assign it to either of front Fn buttons, if you are not using them. If you are using them for other (or default) functions, you need to find out other buttons (like EVF view switching button on the left, or Fn1 button on the right top) to do the AF Home. In my case, all the buttons on the left side is kind of useless because left hand is always holding the lens, and most of them are telephoto. So I assign AF Home to Fn1 on the right top, then, I use arrow pads (around OK button) to call AF Area Selection. With EM1X, I assign AF Home to the center button of the joystick.

I find AF Home function is useful when I see a perched bird and want several shots focused on the bird's eyes, and then quickly go back to C-AF pattern and prepare for BIF shots.
Thanks Masayoshi, I'm very grateful, Chris.

ChrisG

Mu-43 Regular
@masayoshi already explained it very well so I won't bother repeating the nature of AF Home.

I have AF Home assigned to Fn1. I have no need for a dedicated AF point selection button because like him, I have the D-pad set to move the AF point.
Thank you, wjiang

I wish one or more of the contributors here would make a video that covers all the aspects explained in this thread, and the other related threads. So far, videos related to CAF and CAF-TR for the E-M1 MK2 on YouTube were all posted before firmware 3.1.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom