Let's talk about straps please.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gdourado, May 1, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

How are you?
    So, today I was thinking about straps...
    I took my E-PL2 out today. I don't have the Olympus neck strap on the camera. Just a small wrist strap.
    I don't really like the neck strap because I think it gets in the way of putting your camera on the pouch and taking it off.
    So I have a wrist strap to put around my wrist when shooting to avoid dropping the camera on the ground by accident.
    The inconvenience is that when I have the camera out I have to be holding it, having always one hand busy with the camera.
    Or it is on the shoulder pouch, stored away...
    I think something that would work alright for me was something like the Blackrapid shoulder straps. A small piece to attach to the tripod mount and when needed, the camera can be attached to a shoulder strap.
    But these are made for DSLRs, bigger and heavier... I don't know how it would work with mu43 cameras...

So, I was wondering what kind of straps you use?
    Can you please illustrate with pictures?
    How's your feedback on your setup?

Thanks for your attention.
    Best wishes!
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Straps = Luigi's.
    Nuff Said
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Either Artisan and Artist or a Gordys strap for me.

4. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Of course the Black Rapid would work for Micro Four-Thirds! In fact, if I'm going to use a Black Rapid strap I would only use it on a Non-Reflex camera as the tripod mount is not meant to be swinging around with all the weight of a pro-grade DSLR and pro-grade lenses (and if I'm using a DSLR, why would I use anything but?). People tear the mounts out of their cameras that way. With a Non-Reflex camera however, you probably don't have much to worry about.

I use a combination of straps for my PENs. One has just a hand strap with detachable shoulder strap, one has a hand strap and lugs for interchangeable neck straps, and one has a comfortable soft neck strap from Smugmug. I have hand straps which can be added to all of them by quick release, which also hold my VF-2 viewfinder and EMA-1 mic adapter in a velvet pouch. These are all hand-made by myself.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I REALLY like the Artist & Artisan cloth straps for a shoulder strap and Gordy's for wrist straps. I have also had pretty good luck with the Domke Gripper strap but I wish it were longer.

Of course what I like you may not.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I like the Black Rapid in concept but I have never found it all that comfortable to use so it just sits in my cabinet. It was a present from my wife though so I can't sell it...bad Karma that.
  8. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Tutorial please :)
  9. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I use a BlackRapid strap with my GH2 just fine. Nowadays I only use it when I'm going to be walking around doing touristy stuff. For most casual use (where I'm carrying the camera in my purse or I'm in my house) I have a lovely soft wrist strap that I got on ebay: Gariz DD-WSP Marshmallow Wrist Strap 5 Color select GF2 | eBay
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I use an Optech Pro Loop wrist strap :smile:
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Domke grippers.
  13. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I have also been looking for a neck strap since I pre-ordered the camera. I usually use Gordy's wrist strap. For neck strap I was looking at the Barton 1972 braided one - BARTON 1972

But my wife and sister keeps telling me is freaky and looks like a braided hair. After that I started looking at A&A straps. The cloth ones are ok to me but kind of reminds me of seatbelts. The silk one reminds me of those rope on the poles.

In the end I ordered a leather A&A strap. Was considering either a black one or a gray one. I'm sure black would look good on the silver body, but I chose gray in the end.
  14. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    It's late so no pictures of the straps for now. I have 3 ways of carrying my camera besides a bag.

1.) SpiderPro Holster: Fantastic little device. Quality is top notch. Used to haul around a D700 with 70-200mm f/2.8, which it did superbly at. Now used for G3.
    Pros: camera stays put and is very secure. Quick access. Totally hands free when not shooting.
    Cons: need to wear a belt. Camera is at side and can be smacked off of things.

2.) Luma Labs Cinch Strap: Good strap that I've used for a few weeks. Build quality is fantastic. mounts to camera securely.
    Pros: strap can be tightened to camera stays fairly well where you want it too when not taking pictures. Strap quickly is extended allowing to bring the camera up.
    Cons: takes longest time to connect to camera. difficult to use under a backpack. camera can still swing forward if bent over or on a bike.

3.) BlackRapid RS-4: Good strap. Good build quality.
    Pros: Quickest in bringing camera to ready position. Pretty secure connection.
    Cons: Camera can swing wildly around if not careful and WILL fall forward anytime you bend over. Not to be used when riding a bike. When I use it, one hand is generally holding the camera in place while walking around.

I hope this helps. If anyone has questions, let me know and I'll answer as best I can.
  15. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
  16. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I use a series of old canon point and shoot wrist straps. My epm1 has one from canons sx100. I also use an optech neck strap and I own a black rapids r2, but the epm1 is too small for that strap.
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Saving up for a dark blue Artist and Artisan braided silk strap for my GF1. I'll attach both ends of the strap to this, then attach the clasp to this that will already be attached to one side of the camera.