Let's Hear Your Favorite (or, in fact, any) Cover Versions Of Popular Songs !

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Swing cover of a Kiwi classic.

Original can be found fairly easily on YT. CW for it tho' - fairly graphic meat-works footage - AFFCO is a meat-packing company; video never got much airplay in NZ which is odd given frozen meat is a major export.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Stumbled across this after reading an article about '40 Years of Baggy Trousers'. Wow.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
“Gloomy Sunday“ or the Hungarian Suicide Song, covered by seemingly everyone since it was composed in 1933. Lots of urban legends around the song, like listening to it will cause you to kill yourself and that it was banned in the UK till 2002. Some of those things are kinda sorta true(ish).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

My favorite version is probably this one, although the Sinead O’Connor version is pretty solid.

My favorite is the Associates cover, which supposedly Bjork thought was the original (she has a cover, too). Fan video. RIP Billy MacKenzie.

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
My favorite is the Associates cover, which supposedly Bjork thought was the original (she has a cover, too). Fan video. RIP Billy MacKenzie.

Come on Bjork, I expect more from you than that. I don’t know why, but I do.

But that cover sure had a lot of Flock of Seagulls/new wave stuff going on in it ?

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Come on Bjork, I expect more from you than that. I don’t know why, but I do.

But that cover sure had a lot of Flock of Seagulls/new wave stuff going on in it ?

Recorded 1982!

On a sad note, the singer could perhaps be said to have suffered the curse of Gloomy Sunday when he overdosed after his mother died.

As for Bjork's purported lack of knowledge, I thought until today Billie Holliday's was the original, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Recorded 1982!

On a sad note, the singer could perhaps be said to have suffered the curse of Gloomy Sunday when he overdosed after his mother died.

As for Bjork's purported lack of knowledge, I thought until today Billie Holliday's was the original, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
That’s an understandable one though! Billie Holliday was who made the song famous in the English language...although not the first English version of I recall?

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
I’m just a sucker for her voice. Also the part where everyone whistles in pretty hysterical.

Sittin’ on the dock of the bay-

Latest threads

Top Bottom