Let's Hear Your Favorite (or, in fact, any) Cover Versions Of Popular Songs !

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Kiwi band The 3D's (amusingly there were 4 in the band - Denise, Dave, David & Dominic) contribution to the Flying Nun 'Abbasolutely' ABBA covers compilation...

phigmov

Mark Lanegan (ex Screaming Trees) & his mate Kurt Cobain (guitars & backing vocals) + Krist from Nirvana (bass) covers the Leadbelly classic (itself based on a traditional folk-song). Note - this was released a few years prior to Nirvana covering this on the MTV acoustic show -

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Very different! I'd have thought they could have made a bit more of it guitar wise considering the style they did it in.

The song was, of course, titled 'Black Girl' but that is not allowed today (I always wonder if it was called 'White Girl' would it have to have been changed).

Here's a version of the same song by the Brit band 'The Four Pennies' from back in 1964, the first version I ever heard

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
YouTube popped this in my feed recently. Hadn't heard the original in 15 years so had to go back but it's pretty much Bon Jovi gets owned by literally a junkyard band. I ended up watching the drumstick flip in slow motion. The Iron Cross is a cover band so a few more might turn up here.

phigmov

A couple of covers and the original of 'Soon' -

First is by Kenny Feinstein who recorded a folk homage covers album to the mighty and exceedingly loud Irish noise-popsters My Bloody Valentine

Second is by a talented young kid that plays all the instruments and unpicks the many layered splendour of 'Soon'

Finally the original in all its swoony, blissed out glory

phigmov

I enjoy a nicely done ukulele cover; in this case the Fruity Ukelele Ladies cover the horror-rock classic from the Misfits "Where Eagles Dare"

The original (I'm sure theres one with Glenn Danzig floating around for the purists)

phigmov

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds cover The Seekers 'The Carnival is Over'

The Seekers original (itself based on a Russian folk-tune)

Looks like Boney M covered it too in '82

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice find phigmov.
I rate them as -
1 - The New Seekers, the best.
2 - Boney M, a good version
3 - Nick Cave, should never have tried it, his voice just doesn't work well on ballads.

phigmov

Another trio... first is my favourite version sung by Nicky Thomas giving it 110% -

Next is the more well known Paul Young version from '83 - seemed ubiquitous in the early days of music video and MTV -

Finally the first recorded version from '67 (only found this out via the comments in the Nicky Thomas video where the songwriters son pops up) -

haunted scrap heap
Originally by Sparks, this song has been getting kicked around by hipsters lately... in sheer terms of giving more than you take, though, this one still beats everything else I've heard.

Latest threads

Top Bottom