Lester Dine (Kiron) 105mm SOMEBODY STOP ME!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by steve16823, May 26, 2012.

1. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Okay, so as I mentioned in another thread I just scored a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8. I ordered a Nikon adapter (and extension tubes) from Rainbow Imaging last night.

So, what appears on my local craigslist? A (legendary) Lester Dine (Kiron) 105mm f/2.8 for $200, in Nikon mount. Should I? Shouldn't I?

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Good price, offer 175 and see if you can make it a even better price. I owned one briefly with pentax. Honestly I don't think it is quite as good as its "cult status" would indicate but it is still a great lens. Seen them go fron $150 to $500 so at the very least even if you decide to sell it you shouldn't loose and might make a few bucks. The nikon mount also seems to have the best resale value too.

Personally this time around when looking I held out till I found a tokina at-x 90mm 2.5 for a good price. I think it is noticable better but I have to mount a extender to do 1:1 whereas the kiron will go 1:1 on its own.

Google "making not taking" goid site with information on these lenses.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I cannot and will not stop you. This is a wonderful lens, and I love it. :thumbup: I also think that's a wonderfully good price.

The 100mm focal length will give you a significant difference in working room over your Micro-Nikkor, allowing you to shoot macro on different subjects better.

I think though that if you don't snatch it up quick it's probably gone already.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've had this one, albeit in Vivitar clothes. It's a good lens, but I've sold it and replaced it ultimately with a Minolta macro 100mm 1:4 which is much better, especially in terms of corner sharpness and CA and can be had cheaper.

5. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Awesome lens.

I do want to mention that if you are going to mount it on a tripod, take into account that the adapter distance puts the weight of the lens out even further in front of the balance point.

Do-able with a decent ballhead but finding an adapter with a tripod mount might be ideal.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Maybe some one will stop you, but not me.
    Get it. Use both and if you don't like having both around, sell one. You won't lose money at the prices you're paying. You might even make money on the Nikkor.

Fred

7. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

I disagree. It fully justifies its cult status because it is the rarest of animals, an outstanding macro lens that is also an outstanding portrait lens.

Several other 1970s/80s macro lenses came close, including optics from Sigma, Tokina, Tanron and Vivitar. All were good macro lenses *and* good portrait lenses. But none was quite as exceptional for both macro and portrait use as the Kiron.

8. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Having owned both, I would have to say the Tokina 90mm (and its likely its brother the vivitar 90mm 2.5 bokina) is both sharper and has noticeably less aberrations when used wide open for portraits. I guess due to the Kiron being a little softer some may like that better for portraits but you can always soften in PP, you can't get make resolution though.

Advantage goes to Kiron in that it is 1:1 without adapters.

The Kiron is still a great lens I just feel it's a little over hyped. At the price the OP can buy it for, I would say go for it. If you have the time and budget and don't need native 1:1 then I think the bokina twins are worth it.

Compared to modern Macro's (tamron 90mm, Sigma 70 and 150)I have owned I think the Tokina still gives any of them a run for there money on sharpness, with the modern lenses perhaps a little better in the aberrations/flare department. All of them I found to be equal to or better than the Kiron... just more money than the OP's purchase price will be.

9. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Thanks folks, I knew I could count on you guys to talk me out of it.:rofl:

My in-laws are visiting for the weekend so I really can't chase this deal until Tuesday so I'll think about it for a couple of days and if it's still available on Tuesday i'll probably buy it. If not, well, I'll consider it fate.

10. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    LOL, if your in laws are visiting that sounds like the perfect time to go look at the lens....a real long look :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Looks like you've got the list of lenses I bought :p. I love the Lester Dine 105mm f2.8. It's extremely SHARP! I have the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 as well, but that one is prone to flare. The inbuilt hood on the Lester Dine does help.

The reason I ended up with both lenses was that I had done a regular bid on Vivitar Bokina and the Lester Dine. A friend asked me to choose one and snipe, else I might not win it. So, I went with Lester Dine. Won it in the auction. Eventually, no one else bid on the Bokina, so I got that one too. When I tested them both, I didn't wanna let either one go, so yeah, no regrets and I have two awesome lenses :smile:.