Lessons learned from first full day out with E-M10 II

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dolphinjon, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I got my camera a couple of months ago in anticipation of moving to Brazil. I've used it quite a bit, but yesterday was my first full day (12+ hours) out with it. I've learned a few things.

1) I use the 12-50 range far more than I thought. Except at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, it's the only lens I used, though I did take my 40-150 and 70-300 with me.

2) I want the 12-40 so bad that I can taste it. I constantly wished I had a faster lens on my camera. Maybe in another year or two.

3) A Wasabi battery lasts longer than I expected, but when it dies, it does so with minimal warning.

4) Lens hoods really are great for protecting your lens. Especially when using a sling strap (Peak Design Slide Light in my case). The hood on my 12-50 got knocked off towards the end of the day and I don't know where it happened.

5) The eyecup really does fall off easier than I expected. I should have ordered a couple of extras and thrown them in my bag. I'll have to go without for the rest of this trip and order them when I get home.

6) This sure beats carrying around a DSLR!

Thanks to everyone on here for all you share. I was better prepared for it, and now I understand better some of the suggestions I read here (eyecup and lens hood!).

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Not that it's my business, but since you want 12-40 badly and you didn't use 40-150 on this trip.
    Have you considered to switch?

3. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    That's a fair point. I should have specified that it's the 40-150R that came with my camera :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Re #3, there's a setting in the Olympus menus to increase the battery warning level. I have mine set to +2, iirc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just do it! A very good lens is really an investment in yourself for years if you stick with m43, especially one that will probably be your #1 lens. When I first moved to a dSLR in late 2008 with my Oly E-520, I first bought the 14-54mm then a few month later I picked up the 12-60mm for about $650-$700 second hand (then later sold off the 14-54mm). I used the 12-60mm exclusively as my wide zoom even after moving the E-M1 a couple years back and only last summer did I finally buy the Panny 12-35/2.8. And I STILL use the 12-60mm a lot. So seven years with the 12-60mm. Money will spent. I even spend the $160-ish a couple years back to have it repaired (aperture started to have issues). Still worth every penny.

Stuff $100 in a sock drawer every month and by next summer you will have it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    That is some very wise advice. I'm going to start socking some money away each month to save up for better lenses. I wish the 12-60 would work well with the E-M10ii. That would be my perfect everyday lens!

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Remember that Olympus usually has refurb 12-40 for $700 or so. This means its 560 or so during the 20% off sale. The sock draw will pay off quicker.

8. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    Noted! I'll save and maybe eventually pick that and the 40-150 Pro at the same time. One can dream :-D