Lessons learned from first full day out with E-M10 II

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dolphinjon, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    I got my camera a couple of months ago in anticipation of moving to Brazil. I've used it quite a bit, but yesterday was my first full day (12+ hours) out with it. I've learned a few things.

1) I use the 12-50 range far more than I thought. Except at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, it's the only lens I used, though I did take my 40-150 and 70-300 with me.

2) I want the 12-40 so bad that I can taste it. I constantly wished I had a faster lens on my camera. Maybe in another year or two.

3) A Wasabi battery lasts longer than I expected, but when it dies, it does so with minimal warning.

4) Lens hoods really are great for protecting your lens. Especially when using a sling strap (Peak Design Slide Light in my case). The hood on my 12-50 got knocked off towards the end of the day and I don't know where it happened.

5) The eyecup really does fall off easier than I expected. I should have ordered a couple of extras and thrown them in my bag. I'll have to go without for the rest of this trip and order them when I get home.

6) This sure beats carrying around a DSLR!

Thanks to everyone on here for all you share. I was better prepared for it, and now I understand better some of the suggestions I read here (eyecup and lens hood!).

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Not that it's my business, but since you want 12-40 badly and you didn't use 40-150 on this trip.
    Have you considered to switch?

3. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    That's a fair point. I should have specified that it's the 40-150R that came with my camera :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Re #3, there's a setting in the Olympus menus to increase the battery warning level. I have mine set to +2, iirc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just do it! A very good lens is really an investment in yourself for years if you stick with m43, especially one that will probably be your #1 lens. When I first moved to a dSLR in late 2008 with my Oly E-520, I first bought the 14-54mm then a few month later I picked up the 12-60mm for about $650-$700 second hand (then later sold off the 14-54mm). I used the 12-60mm exclusively as my wide zoom even after moving the E-M1 a couple years back and only last summer did I finally buy the Panny 12-35/2.8. And I STILL use the 12-60mm a lot. So seven years with the 12-60mm. Money will spent. I even spend the $160-ish a couple years back to have it repaired (aperture started to have issues). Still worth every penny.

Stuff $100 in a sock drawer every month and by next summer you will have it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    That is some very wise advice. I'm going to start socking some money away each month to save up for better lenses. I wish the 12-60 would work well with the E-M10ii. That would be my perfect everyday lens!

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Remember that Olympus usually has refurb 12-40 for $700 or so. This means its 560 or so during the 20% off sale. The sock draw will pay off quicker.

8. Dolphinjon

Dolphinjon Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2016
    Noted! I'll save and maybe eventually pick that and the 40-150 Pro at the same time. One can dream :-D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.