1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lessons from My Son - Simplicity (Warning - Image Heavy Post)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by penfan2010, Sep 19, 2011.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I re-learned a great lesson in simplicity from my 17 year old yesterday.

Friends asked my son and I to cover a major yoga event in NJ . The photos would be used for the organizer's website, and would also go up for sale to the attendees. It's been a long time since I had to cover such a big activity, and I erred on the side of over-preparing by bringing along three :43: bodies (all the "granddads" of the genre, the Oly P1 and PL1, plus a recently acquired G1) with an Oly Pen 70mm F2 MF prime tele, the Panny 14 and 20, and the Oly 14-150. Two spare batteries and 2 spare SD cards.

My shots were decent, but a few were slightly OOF either because I got the focus point just slightly off with the vintage lens wide open, or because I was shooting at too low a shutter speed with the 14-150.

Mala_Overview.

Backlit.

Prayer_Pose.

[​IMG]

Hands_Out.

Reach.

My son, on the other hand, used his Oly E-410 with my old Zuiko OM 50mm 1.4; he kept his kit zoom in his bag as a back up (and his trusty Canon QL17 film RF), but never used it.

He's still getting the hang of MF (and the Oly 4/3 camera focusing screens are not really that great for MF), so a lot of the shots were not sharp. But, because he stuck with one lens and one camera, and shot less (what with only 1 CF card), he focused more on getting interesting framing, and playing around with the shallow DOF of the 50mm wide open. More interestingly, his photos (to me) have more soul, certainly compared to the conventional documentary images I tend to shoot.

Drums.

Musician.

Extend.

Candles1.

Arm_Tattoo.

Keeping his set up simple, and having a very different "eye" from his dad, were the keys to his photos. Good things for him to keep in mind as he continues to develop as a photographer, and good reminders for me.

• Like Like x 3
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Nice photos from both of you (some, as you pointed out, slightly out of focused though), but completely different style!

May I ask how old is your son?

3. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

Your son has a great eye for photography.

• Like Like x 1
  4. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks - my son is 17.

5. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Most of these look to me like they were taken with the Pen-F 70mm. Very nice.