Lenstip reviews the Olympus 12-50mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Mar 18, 2012.

1. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Interesting it's sharper wide open.

2. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Yes, diffraction taking into effect near max aperture is not very encouraging.

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    That's basic physics, nothing Oly can do about that. With the small sensor size and high pixel density diffraction is going to be an issue at f-stops beyond f4.

4. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Limits the usability of the lens a tad when at 50mm you really only get the best results wide open...that said, it's probably still a much better kit lens than anyone else really offers...

5. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    You're right. Although I was hoping it to be at @f5.6.

So do the other retractable kit lenses have this same limitation as well? I don't recall hearing anything like this @f4 before.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think I'd rather have something like the Panasonic 14-45 over this (then again weather sealing isn't a priority as I don't have a weather sealed camera).

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm not sure about that. Even tested on the strong-AA E-P1, the original Olympus 14-42 is comparable, and the Panasonic 14-45 is well known to be better than the that lens.

DH

8. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    ALL :43: lenses have this problem, it's not limited to a particular lens type.

f5.6 is still very usable, and even f8 is ok for a lot of things. I probably shouldn't have said it would be an "issue" past f4, I meant more that it would be measurable. The falloff from f4 to f5.6 isn't enough to be a problem.

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It's not a lens thing, it's a sensor thing. The older sensors have less of an issue because they have lower density.

10. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    Umm, yeah. That's why I said in my first post, "With the small sensor size and high pixel density diffraction is going to be an issue at f-stops beyond f4." :)

11. It's not that loss of resolution through diffraction is an issue with higher MP sensors more than with lower MP sensors, it just becomes noticable at a pixel level because the pixels are smaller and become capable of out-resolving the lens sooner. When the lens is the limiting factor in resolution it limits the final image from either sensor. More megapixels doesn't make a lens worse, only appear worse in a 100% crop. What does happen is that the sensor with the lower megapixel count doesn't display as great an increase in resolution at larger apertures where the lens is performing optimally.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Nic.

13. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    This is true, but...
    ...I don't understand the rest of the argument. No one is saying that more pixels makes the lens worse, or that a high resolution sensor will give a worse image than a lower resolution sensor at f11. Just that the pixel density does have an impact on what point diffraction starts to limit the maximum resolution possible out of a lens/sensor system. Whether that matters depends on a lot of factors, but the basic physics is what it is.

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd certainly agree to that, but it suggests that it's even more important to have lenses that are not slow and/or soft at wide apertures. Makes it doubly puzzling that the lens included with the E-M5 is the 12-50, not a reworked 14-54, 12-60 or similar (as they did with the E-1, E-3, and E-30).

DH

15. I'll use 16 and 12 megapixel sensors as a practical example of the new and old m4/3 sensors. At a pixel level, diffraction starts to limit the resolution of the 16mp lens/sensor combo sooner (i.e. at a larger aperture) than for the 12mp sensor, but from a higher starting resolution at the optimum aperture. A lens tested on a lower res sensor should give a flatter graph across the range of apertures. A higher res sensor should give a graph with higher peaks, but not lower troughs at smaller apertures.

16. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm happy I changed my OM-D order for body only.

17. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, I understand that, never said anything that contradicted it...

18. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    Oregon
    ugh, I ordered body only em5, now thinking about this weather sealed 12-50
    The IQ sucks imo.
    I'm used to shooting quality primes and top of the line zooms. (canon)

So i went with the 12mm f2.0 and 45.. f1.8
    one of my main reasons for getting em5 is for my upcoming 6 months in bangkok, But i will be there for a little bit of the rainy season.

I was about to buy a third lens, either the p20 or pl25.
    but now i donno if i should stay with my primes, or try to accept lower IQ for getting the shot in the rain :s.
    I have used the 12mm in very light drizzle before. but not rain.

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I must say I don't really understand shooting in the rain. If it's doing more than drizzling, you'll have water droplets on the front element in no time, which makes taking photos rather hard.

Regardless, if you want a sealed combo, the other obvious choice is the 14-54/2.8-3.5II (4/3 lens) and the MMF-3.

DH